Q. Does normal liver function test assures negative result of hepatitis B and C?

I just want to know how long do you have to wait to get tested for hepatitis B? I got checked for the first three months and it was negative. I am just nervous thinking was it too early? Six months later I did a liver test and blood test and everything came back fine. I just want to know should I get rechecked or am I good? Are liver tests good enough to check for hepatitis B and C?

Critical Care Physician Diabetology General Medicine Internal Medicine Medical Gastroenterology Nephrology Pulmonology (Asthma Doctors) Rheumatology
#

It is very important to know, why are you willing to get hepatitis B and C tested? If you had exposure, please mention what exposure it was. Also, mention when did you get the exposure and when did you get the test done?

| 

I got tested three months after my partner. I wanted to check just to be sure. Within those three months, it was negative and I was just told I did not have antibodies to protect me from the virus. So I got the shot all over again. I got bloodwork and liver tests six months after for no apparent reason. I believe I was just being paranoid. But everything was completely normal with my liver. I just wanted to be sure if a liver test is an accurate way to pick up any abnormalities that can be associated with hepatitis? Or should I get checked again?

#

You have not mentioned if in case your partner is positive. If she is, then you can get shots for hepatitis B (I guess you have taken them). So the test for confirmation of hepatitis B immunity is Anti HBS. You should get it done if your wife is hepatitis B positive. Now taking about hepatitis C. No vaccine is available for that. In case your wife is hepatitis C positive, then you should be using protection during any physical relationship to avoid contracting it.

If your test was done after three weeks of her found positive for hepatitis C and you were negative, you do not need further testing if you have been not in a physical relationship with her unprotected.

I know it is confusing. If you have any doubts further please give me exact details and ask your question.

|