Q. I think I have a liver damage. Should I get tested for hepatitis A and B?

Answered by
Dr. Naresh Kumar Monigari
and medically reviewed by iCliniq medical review team.
This is a premium question & answer published on Dec 20, 2016 and last reviewed on: Oct 09, 2018

Hello doctor,

I just got my blood results, which I have uploaded. There are two files. One is about three months old and the other one is from today. I am afraid that I have a liver damage. Should I get tested for hepatitis A, B and C? I had donated blood four months ago and that time there was no problem. I got an ultrasound scan done five months ago along with other every other checkups. I drink two to three beers every day and sometimes, I drink wine. My weight is 83 kg with a waist size of 94 cm and my height is 183 cm. I would appreciate any advice you can give me.



Welcome to icliniq.com.

I have gone through all the data posted (attachment removed to protect patient identity).

  • There are two abnormalities in your reports.
  • The first one is that the percentage of lymphocytes are high and that of the neutrophils are low. This is commonly seen in viral fever. Your previous old report was also showing borderline elevated lymphocytes and low normal neutrophils. Kindly get a peripheral smear done as well as serum LDH (lactate dehydrogenase).
  • Secondly, the liver enzymes are a cause of concern in the present report. The alanine aminotransferase (ALT) and aspartate aminotransferase (AST) were normal in the old reports. In the recent reports, the ALT is mildly elevated, whereas the AST is normal.
  • There is no need to worry much. Kindly avoid alcohol and repeat the liver function test after one month. Right now further testing for hepatitis virus is not required.
  • Kindly clarify whether you are experiencing fever, cold or cough. Do you have any vomiting? Is there any history of blood in vomit? Do you have any previous history of hepatitis?

Revert back with the details to an internal medicine physician online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/internal-medicine-physician

Thank you doctor,

I do have slight swelling in my hand and feet, mostly on the feet. The swelling is there from the past six months and I am used to it now. I have also done a full cardiac checkup and everything is fine. I had got itchy skin previously and it had lasted for about a month. I do experience mild chills occasionally. I do not have any fatigue or vomiting. My appetite is normal. I have got the vaccination for hepatitis A and B during my school days. I did not have problems so far. I will do serum LDH tomorrow and repeat ALT again. Should I worry about this hepatitis? I am not sharing any needles. I do not have the habit of drug abuse. I have a girlfriend and we are staying together for the past two years. Occasionally, we have safe sex. I had done a hematology examination last year. Last year also my lymphocyte and neutrophils were abnormal. At that time, the doctor said that it might be an allergic reaction. I do have slight dust, pollen and dust mite allergy. I do not have any food or drug allergy.



Welcome back to icliniq.com.

  • You need not worry much regarding hepatitis.
  • As your previous report also shows elevated lymphocytes and low neutrophils, we need to do a peripheral smear to look for atypical lymphocytes. Also, get a serum lactate dehydrogenase test done.

Revert back with the reports to an internal medicine physician online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/internal-medicine-physician

Thank you doctor,

I have uploaded today's results. The ALT and AST are slightly more elevated. I think these are elevated because I drank two glasses of wine at a friend's birthday party yesterday night. I know that alcohol is bad. I am thinking to repeat blood tests for ALT and AST in a week's time. Henceforth, I will drink only coffee. I heard that coffee is good for the liver. I am having Dandelion tea, milk whey, green tea and I am eating only non-fatty foods. I hope this will help me reduce the ALT and AST values to the normal level.



Welcome back to icliniq.com.

I have gone through all the data posted (attachment removed to protect patient identity).

  • Your AST and ALT are elevated. The neutrophils and lymphocytes are within the normal range and LDH is also normal.
  • Avoid alcohol and oily foods. Have green tea and do regular exercises.
  • I suggest you take tablet Ursodeoxycholic acid 300 mg, once at night time for 15 days. Please consult your specialist doctor, discuss with him or her and take the medicine with consent.
  • Repeat a liver function test after 15 days.

Revert back after 15 days to an internal medicine physician online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/internal-medicine-physician

Was this answer helpful?


Related Questions:
Is there any medicine to overcome the effects of alcohol?

.. now acknowledged as a disease that requires a combined treatment (medications, psychological and social intervention). Medications to increase tolerance of the patient to alcohol as Iomazenil are not very much recommended as they tend to increase...   Read full

Is asthma permanently curable?

Recently doctor has diagnosed, based on his stethoscope examination and repeated illness, mild intermittent asthma ... However, we do not have any family history of asthma ...   Read full

Can multiple myeloma be misdiagnosed over chronic alcoholism?

.. can strongly suggest myeloma; however, marrow biopsy is needed. But, one can fairly be sure about the diagnosis. Before starting treatment one will need the bone marrow biopsy. Also, bony lesion if visible on x-ray, then one may proceed without MR...   Read full

Also Read Answers From:

Comprehensive Medical Second Opinion.Submit your Case

Also Read

COVID-19 Vaccines
A COVID-19 vaccine provides acquired immunity against the new Coronavirus. Read the article to know everything about the...  Read more»
The Perils of Social Media Addiction
Social media addiction affects both physical and mental health. Read this article to know more.  Read more»
COVID-19 - Second Wave
The second wave of COVID-19 is a red flag. Read more to know about the precautionary measures.  Read more»

Ask your health query to a doctor online?

Ask an Internal Medicine Physician Now

* guaranteed answer within 4 hours.

Disclaimer: No content published on this website is intended to be a substitute for professional medical diagnosis, advice or treatment by a trained physician. Seek advice from your physician or other qualified healthcare providers with questions you may have regarding your symptoms and medical condition for a complete medical diagnosis. Do not delay or disregard seeking professional medical advice because of something you have read on this website.