Q. I am an HBsAg carrier. Is there any treatment for it?

This is a premium question & answer published on Jun 15, 2017 and last reviewed on: Oct 21, 2021

I am an HBsAg carrier, and I want to travel abroad for a job. I came to know about my status during a medical checkup, and after that, I got my complete blood test done. I am scared after reading about it on the internet. I have attached my test reports for your better understanding. I would like to know about my health status as per my report. Is there any treatment for this?

#

Thanks for your query. I have seen your report (attachment removed to protect patient identity).

• You are HBsAg (hepatitis B surface antigen) positive, but your liver function tests are normal, which is a good thing. It would take 6 to 8 weeks for the viral serology to improve. You just need symptomatic treatment, and no antivirals are required.
  • I would suggest you try doing the following:
  1. Abstinence from alcohol.
  2. Consume low or fat-free diet.
  3. Avoid red meat.
  4. Consume vegetables and fruit juices.
  5. Perform less activity and avoid sports.
  6. Avoid taking any medication that can cause liver damage.
  7. Recheck liver enzymes after 6 to 8 weeks.

If you have any further query, feel free to ask.

For further queries consult an internal medicine physician online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/internal-medicine-physician

Thanks for your answer. I would like to know the hepatitis test significance and its implications. I would also like to know in detail about the interpretations. Is there is any treatment for HBsAg?

#

Thanks for your feedback.

• Hepatitis panel test is used to diagnose hepatitis, that is, inflammation of the liver due to hepatitis virus. Hepatitis viruses usually encountered are Hepatitis A, B, and C, which can lead to serious morbidity if left untreated.
  • Your hepatitis B surface antigen (HBsAg) and antibody to hepatitis core antigen are positive, suggesting an active infection, and it requires follow-up after 2 to 3 months. Once antibodies to HBsAg becomes negative, it is known as seroconversion, and then you are free from the active state. It usually occurs in 6 to 8 weeks from the start of infection.
  • The treatment as stated above consists of antiviral medications if liver enzymes are raised, otherwise, it is usually symptomatic management.

Thanks.

For more information consult an internal medicine physician online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/internal-medicine-physician

|