Q. Is Hepatitis B a contagious disease?

Dr. Aamir Mohd
This is a premium question & answer published on Jan 09, 2015 and last reviewed on: Dec 18, 2018

I want to know about Hepatitis B virus. I have been affected by this disease. Is it a contagious disease? Can others use the things which I use? Can others drink water with my used glass? How does this virus spread?

In people who have already taken hepatitis B virus vaccine, is there any chance of virus affecting them? My wife has taken hepatitis B vaccine. Can we have sex? Is there any chance of hepatitis B virus affecting my wife? Can my wife breastfeed our child? Is there any chance of virus transmission from my wife to our kid?

#

Hepatitis B virus is transmitted through sexual contact with an infected person and through blood, mucous membranes, and wounds. Yes, other persons can use your things and drink water from your glass if they do not have any injury. You should not have sexual contact with your wife. And she should check herself for hepatitis B.

Are you taking any injections for hepatitis B, like interferons?

You should do the tests - HBsAg, Anti HBc and Liver Function Test (LFT). If you have already done these tests, you can upload the report here.

Yes, in rare cases, it can affect a breastfed child. But, I think your wife must have been tested for hepatitis B and C before delivery. Your wife needs booster doses of hepatitis B vaccine if she had taken the vaccination during childhood. She also has to check antibodies against hepatitis B.

For further queries, revert back to a general practitioner online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/general-practitioner

|