Q. Should we opt abortion when mother is infected from HEV during pregnancy?

Dr. Nadia Khan
and medically reviewed by Nithila A
Published on May 18, 2019

My wife is in the 14th week of her pregnancy. During a routine checkup, we came to know that she was infected from HEV. What will happen? Do we have to abort the child?

Dr. Nadia Khan

Obstetrics And Gynaecology
#

There is no need for the abortion as HEV (hepatitis E virus) does not cross the placenta, but you need to have a close follow up for the pregnancy. Also, you have to get in touch with fetomaternal doctors (baby-mother doctors) and get a regular check-up of your liver function test. You would need to be delivered in a hospital setting as HEV may infect the baby at the time of birth. HEV is not harmful to the baby during pregnancy but needs close monitoring, and vigilant care of mother as mother's condition may deteriorate if not addressed properly. I hope it has helped you. If you require any further queries, please do not hesitate to contact me.

Will irregular period affect my fertility?

Query: Hi doctor,I am having irregular periods since six months. My age is 25. My period lasts for only one or two days with brown blood discharge. My weight is 100 kg and height is 5'6".  Read Full »

I am concerned about discolored patches on hip. Kindly advise.

Query: Hello doctor, I am a 59-year-old female. I have discolored patches on my hip that just recently developed. Within the last month, I have had CT stomach, routine blood work, X-ray but they all returned normal. I do have chronic stress and I have been constantly losing weight and usually go to pass s...  Read Full »

Which specialist would perform surgery of a galactocele?

Query: Hello doctor,My wife stopped breastfeeding our third child five months ago, after a lot of sucking difficulties and painful nipples. Because of that, her breasts plugged and did not empty properly. She has tried breast pump without any luck. She has now developed painful galactoceles on both her br...  Read Full »