Q. My Anti-HBc is reactive with negative HBsAg, and HBV. Kindly clarify.

and medically reviewed by Dr. Nithila A

I gave a blood test came back, saying I was anti-HBc reactive and negative on HBsAg, and HBV. I am curious to know what this mean? I have never had any of the symptoms for HBV and was wondering if it could be a false reading. Kindly clarify.

Do you have a question on Anti Hbc or Hbsag?

Ask a Doctor Now

MBBS., MD
General Medicine Internal Medicine Rheumatology

Went through your post, and to be honest, it is tough to even for doctors to interpret hepatitis B serology results, and I will try to make it simple and hope you will be able to understand.

1. Positive HBsAg means one is infected with Hepatitis B, which may be chronic, acute, or a carrier state.

2. A negative HBsAg and positive hepatitis core antibody IgM type may occur early in acute hepatitis for only some period, which is called window period, and yes, any serology test can come false positive or false negative. Any way Hepatitis B is usually a self-limiting disease and about 99 % of adult people settle in six months period. I suggest you repeat Hepatitis B serology whole, which includes HBsAg, HBc antibody, and HBs antibody and let me know.

I am HBV positive. What are the chances that I will completely get rid of it within six months?
Query: Hello doctor,I am 28 years old. I had my blood test done last month. HBV was negative. When tested again 53 days later, it came out to be positive. Do I have acute or chronic? Are all HBV acute for the first six months? What are the chances that I will completely get rid of it within six months?  Read Full >>
Dr. Srinivas Morampudi

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. If your HBsAg was positive on the second occasion, but negative 53 days before that, you have acute Hepatitis B infection. Most of the time, HBsAg is discovered incidentally. It is not common for Hepatitis B to be diagnosed in the acute phase. More than 90 % of patie...  Read Full

I had hepatitis B symptoms a week back but fine now. What does it mean?
Query: Hello doctor, Please, I was diagnosed with hepatitis B positive last week. I had the symptoms for about five days but now I am feeling better without any symptoms. What does that mean?  Read Full >>
Dr. Lohit Chauhan
General Medicine Physician

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I need to know these things first. 1. How did you come to know about having hepatitis B, usually HBsAg (surface antigen) is detected in the routine kits? 2. Had there been, any past history of jaundice? 3. Were you immunized for hepatitis B in the past? 4. Were t...  Read Full

Ask a Doctor Now