Q. My Anti-HBc is reactive with negative HBsAg, and HBV. Kindly clarify.

I gave a blood test came back, saying I was anti-HBc reactive and negative on HBsAg, and HBV. I am curious to know what this mean? I have never had any of the symptoms for HBV and was wondering if it could be a false reading. Kindly clarify.

#

Went through your post, and to be honest, it is tough to even for doctors to interpret hepatitis B serology results, and I will try to make it simple and hope you will be able to understand.

1. Positive HBsAg means one is infected with Hepatitis B, which may be chronic, acute, or a carrier state.

2. A negative HBsAg and positive hepatitis core antibody IgM type may occur early in acute hepatitis for only some period, which is called window period, and yes, any serology test can come false positive or false negative. Any way Hepatitis B is usually a self-limiting disease and about 99 % of adult people settle in six months period. I suggest you repeat Hepatitis B serology whole, which includes HBsAg, HBc antibody, and HBs antibody and let me know.

|