Q. Is there treatment for hepatocellular carcinoma? Also, advise on survival chance.

Dr. Satya Narayan

My father’s CT scan report says there is a solitary hepatic lesion consistent with neoplasm. The possibilities reported in the CT scan are:

1. HCC - hepatocellular carcinoma.
  2. Metastases

The CT scan was advised when his blood test result showed high alkaline phosphatase with a count of 700 and alpha-fetoprotein count was 1600+, an ultrasound scan showed that there was a tumor in his liver. After seeing the CT scan report, the doctor confirmed it and said it is about 15 cm big and there is no cure at this stage. I can share the detailed CT scan report. Can you please advise me if there is a treatment at this stage and what are the chances?

And I would like to know the chances of survival, any ways to reduce the pain when he starts to show the symptoms. Any help will be really appreciated. Thank you.

#

All the investigation are more in favor of locally advanced hepatocellular carcinoma. In such advanced cases, usually, the patient is planned for palliative treatment in the form of oral medication Sorafenib, which is used under the observation of an oncologist. Also, another additional option to oral medication is transarterial chemoembolization which is done by an interventional radiologist.

I am sorry to say that even if all the management is done, the survival is still poor.

For further queries consult a radiation oncologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/radiation-oncologist

|