Q. My friend is diagnosed with stage 4 leukemia. What should we do?

This is a premium question & answer published on Jun 07, 2017 and last reviewed on: Oct 09, 2021

Can you help me read the attached report of my friend's blood test? Please explain about her condition. I want to check if the patient is diagnosed with leukemia.

#

• Here, in the attached report (attachment removed to protect patient identity), some part of the peripheral smear examination report is not visible in leukocyte. Upload peripheral smear examination report, which is fully visible, so that I can comment on it.
  • The leukocytes and platelet count are normal. But in the peripheral smear, the platelets are worrying. You can repeat PS (peripheral smear) examination and CBC (complete blood count), and if findings are suspicious, then further workup like bone marrow aspiration might be needed to rule out leukemia.

Take care. Hope your concern is solved.

Revert with more information to a hematologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/hematologist

Hi doctor,

Thank you so much for your quick reply. I have attached a full visible report for your reference. Kindly suggest. My concern is about the PS, why is the following written when the counts are normal? The WBC count is 3150, then why is it written immediate attention required? The platelet count is 193000, then why is it written adequate, but to be worried? The patient is diagnosed with stage 4 leukemia, 15 days back. What should be our immediate action? Is it curable?

#

I have seen the reports (attachment removed to protect patient identity).

• What was the type of leukemia? Was it myeloid or lymphoid?
  • Here, in this CBC report, blast cells or other abnormal cells are not present, which can be seen in leukemia. If you are on chemotherapeutic drugs, then the smear can become normal without abnormal cells.
  • As you have been diagnosed with stage 4 cancer, bone marrow might be involved. Hence, bone marrow is not able to do leukopoiesis sufficiently and so less WBC (white blood cells) count.
  • In certain leukemia, like subleukemic or aleukemic leukemia, the platelet count might be low still, leukemia is present, which can be diagnosed by bone marrow study.
  • Your immediate action is to consult a nearby cancer specialist for further workup and start chemotherapeutic drugs for that.

Take care. Hope your concern is solved.

For more information consult a hematologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/hematologist

|