Herpes Zoster

My husband is having burning red blisters on the back side of the body and beside his nipple. Please help.

Query: Hello doctor,My husband is having some red blisters on the right back side of the body and beside his right nipple for three days. He is having a mild burning sensation when the cloth touches these blisters or rashes. Please help.  Read Full »

Dr. Shanza Ikram

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I have gone through your case. I have two diagnoses in your case. 1. Insect bite reaction, and 2. herpes zoster. Insect bite reaction does not require any treatment, but you need to follow the treatment as early as possible. Kindly consult your doctor to discuss th...  Read Full »

There is a boil with burning sensation. Why?

Query: Hello doctor, The patient is 62 years old, weight 41 kg. All test reports are normal. There is a boil problem in the upper half of the right leg above the knee. She is having a burning sensation due to the same. It is spreading. Is it due to insect bite?  Read Full »

Cosmetologist, Dermatologist, Family Physician, General Practitioner, HIV AIDS Specialist, Plastic Surgeon, Venereologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. It is not boil (attachment removed to protect patient identity), it is a case of herpes zoster. How long she has been suffering from this? Is this her first episode? Diabetes? Burning and pain are there?  Read Full »

Is herpes zoster dangerous?

Query: Hi doctor, My mother was diagnosed to have herpes zoster. Also, her doctor says that the herpes has caused ulcers. I would like to know in how much time it will heal? Is herpes zoster a dangerous one?  Read Full »

Dr. Sampada Avinash Thakare

Cosmetologist, Dermatologist, Venereologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. As you know, Herpes zoster is a viral infection. It takes 7 to 10 days for the lesions to heal. But, in patients who are diabetic, old age, secondarily infected and with an incomplete antiviral dose or seropositive it can take up to 15 days to get cured. In elderl...  Read Full »

A tender bump on the side of my nose is causing painful headaches. What is it?

Query: Hello doctor, I have a tender bump on the side of my nose, which is slowly getting bigger. It is on the right side of the bridge of my nose, and it is hot to touch. It does not look red, but it is extremely painful. My eyes and forehead also hurt and is causing a very painful headache. I have chroni...  Read Full »

General Medicine Physician, Internal Medicine Physician, Rheumatologist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I went through your post, but it would have been better if you had posted a photograph of the lesion. There are three possibilities: Herpes zoster of the ophthalmic division of trigeminal nerve. This one is a problem because it may affect the eye, so it needs to b...  Read Full »

Whom should I consult for herpes zoster?

Query: Hello doctor, I have herpes zoster. Should I consult a dermatologist or a general physician? My age is 24. What kind of diet has to be taken?  Read Full »

Dr. Ashwini V Swamy

Dermatologist, Venereologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Herpes zoster is a dermatology condition. It is a viral reactivation. It has to be treated as soon as possible to prevent the postherpetic neuralgia (residual pain). It is the varicella virus, not related to diet. You can continue taking your regular diet with 2 to 3 li...  Read Full »

I have a rash that is itchy and uncomfortable. What could it be?

Query: Hello doctor, I have a rash that is kinda itchy and it is too warm to touch. It appeared in my lower abdomen and nothing is coming out of it. My environment did not change and my food habits did not either, despite including bananas in my diet.  Read Full »

Dr. Shanza Ikram

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I have gone through the images (attachment removed to protect patient identity). There are two possibilities: Insect bite reaction. Herpes zoster infection. In my opinion, your lesions are more likely to be of herpes zoster infection. Either visit your physicia...  Read Full »

I got some rashes on my hands after carrying iron rods. What could it be due to?

Query: Dear doctor, I am a 66 year old male. No diabetes, no hypertension with normal lipid limits. I am working in a remote area where no medical facility is available. Since last week, I have a rash on my right hand with a rose circle that has several watery eruptions. It is only in the hand. The ones I...  Read Full »

Dr. (prof.) Kumaresan Muthuvel

Cosmetologist, Dermatologist, Hair Transplant Surgeon

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I went through the images (attachment removed to protect patient identity). You are having herpes zoster. This is a viral infection. I suggest taking the following tablet. Valtoval (Valacyclovir) 1 g thrice a day for five days. Consult your specialist doctor, discu...  Read Full »

Does chickenpox spread through breast milk?

Query: Hi doctor, I am 31 years old and a mother of 7 months old baby. Recently, I have got infected with herpes zoster virus on my back. It is a small patch above my waist. Doctor told me to stop breastfeeding for a week. But, my baby is exclusively breastfed till now and not taking bottle feed after seve...  Read Full »

Dr. Deepak Patel

Child Health Specialist, Paediatrician

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I can understand your concern. If you have chickenpox or herpes zoster virus infection and you are breastfeeding, then your baby does not get infected with the chickenpox virus through your breast milk. However, if you still have blisters on your skin, then it is poss...  Read Full »

I was exposed to herpes zoster virus in the first month of pregnancy. Do I have to terminate?

Query: Hi doctor,I am being advised to terminate a desired pregnancy because of the medication I have been prescribed to tackle a virus that I got just after becoming pregnant. I am looking for a second medical opinion on whether termination is necessary. I would like to understand the risks to the fetus o...  Read Full »

Dr. Vidya

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. The increased exposure to corticosteroid can cross the placental barrier and cause adrenal suppression in the fetus. This can lead to salt wasting, electrolyte imbalances, and even poor development of the fetus. The organs can also have improper developed and ...  Read Full »

From the photo, can you tell me if the lesions are shingles?

Query: Hi doctor, From what was being thought to be muscular inflammation of the back under the shoulder a week ago with constant pain since last week. I have lesions in my body, which look like shingles. I am attaching a photo of these lesions.  Read Full »

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Your main complaint is pain under shoulder and you are suspecting herpes zoster (shingles). Herpes zoster begins with pain along the affected root of nerve followed by an appearance of the rash. The rash is painful and progresses over 7 to 10 days. The pain starts d...  Read Full »