Q. I have a rash that is itchy and uncomfortable. What could it be?

Dr. Shanza Ikram
This is a premium question & answer published on Jul 18, 2018 and last reviewed on: Oct 05, 2020

I have a rash that is kinda itchy and it is too warm to touch. It appeared in my lower abdomen and nothing is coming out of it. My environment did not change and my food habits did not either, despite including bananas in my diet.

Dr. Shanza Ikram

Dermatology
#

I have gone through the images (attachment removed to protect patient identity). There are two possibilities:

1. Insect bite reaction.
  2. Herpes zoster infection.

In my opinion, your lesions are more likely to be of herpes zoster infection.

Either visit your physician as early as possible or consider the following treatment.

1. Tablet Acyclovir 800 mg five times a day for seven days.
  2. Apply Fucidin (Fusidic acid) cream five times a day.
  3. Any antihistamine.

Consult a specialist doctor, discuss with him or her and start taking the medicines with their consent.

For more information consult a dermatologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/dermatologist

| 

Thank you for your reply. If you do not mind me asking how did it appear all of a sudden one day without any symptoms and no fever?

Dr. Shanza Ikram

Dermatology
#

Both insect bite and herpes appear suddenly without any prior symptoms. And, in herpes zoster, it is not necessary to get fever as long as the patient's immunity is good.

Moreover, in a very typical case of herpes, one half of the body is involved and it is very easily diagnosed clinically.

However, when the patient has good immunity, fewer lesions appear and may mimic insect bite.

|