Q. My father has healed red bumps in his right arm with pain. What is causing the pain?

Dr. Shama Naaz
This is a premium question & answer published on Nov 30, 2020 and last reviewed on: Dec 28, 2020

My father was diagnosed with scabies before two months on his right arm. The red bumps got completely healed. But still, he has pain in his arm and has trouble in sleeping. He feels discomfort while wearing long sleeves. He consulted two doctors. One doctor told that it is scabies and the doctor told that it is due to postherpetic neuralgia. He is diabetic and has heart problems also. What is the reason for having prolonged pain? At this moment, he is taking Gabapentin 300 and Zerodol eight capsules. Please help me. Thank you.

#

After looking at the picture (attachment removed to protect patient identity), it seems that your father had herpes zoster before two months. He is experiencing a condition called post-herpetic neuralgia. It occurs when the patient takes inadequate treatment. The treatment should be taken immediately within 72 hours and the duration of the treatment should be followed for ten days.

It usually takes one month to get healed. Usually, the pain occurs up to three months. Even the sensation of clothes causes pain (allodynia). In the meantime, see whether your father's blood sugar level is under control, and if there is another episode of sudden blisters, it is necessary to seek urgent treatment. There are medicines that help to relieve the pain. It usually goes after some time. But if the pain is severe, kindly check it. There is a technique called jodhpur block for postherpetic neuralgia, you can ask this to an experienced dermatologist. If there are any questions, please let me know.

|