Q. My newborn's iris gives rainbowish look. Why?

Dr. Manjunath Natarajan

My baby is 1 month old and has a certain type of rainbowish type of layers in eyes or let us say some part looks darker and some looks lighter in the iris. It looks as if scratches or as if the little part of dark color with the rainbowish look. What might it be?

#

The medical terminology for having different colors at different parts of the iris is heterochromia iridis. Although some people naturally have this since birth, it could be a possible early sign of a few eye related disorders. I would also consider you lucky, thanks to your keen observation, it has made it possible for this condition to be picked up early. My advice to you is to get your child's eye checked by your ophthalmologists regarding this issue soon.

|