Q. What are the treatment options available for dilated pupil?

Dr. Asif Manzoor
Published on Jun 25, 2018 and last reviewed on: Oct 09, 2018

Hi Doctor,

I had a serious eye injury before 10 years due to cricket ball hit. At that time, my pupil got enlarged and dilated. Can it get treated now?

Dr. Asif Manzoor

Ophthalmology (Eye Care)
#

After blunt trauma, pupil constrictor muscles may be damaged and that causes permanently dilated pupil called traumatic mydriasis. This just causes mild blurring or photophobia in bright light due to large aperture.

But, in case of trauma, there are more important things to see that can cause decreased vision like cornea, lens, retina etc.

Is everything fine in your case? Can you see normal in that eye? If everything is alright, then we can discuss about treatment options.

Treatment Options:

• A simple way could be to use a colored contact lens with a small pupil. It is simple and no surgery required.
  • The second is surgery in which purse-string suture has to apply to make the pupil smaller. But, this usually done when we have planned for some other procedure in the same eye like cataract surgery and these sutures applied in same the setting to minimize complications.
  • There is artificial iris available and that can be implanted. But, they are expensive, need surgery and may have complications.

I would recommend you to visit your ophthalmologist (eye doctor). He will do a complete eye examination and give the best option accordingly.

For further information consult an eye care ophthalmologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/eye-care-ophthalmologist

How to choose contact lenses for my power?

Query: Hello doctor, I want to buy contact lenses. I have a spectacle power on both my eyes. The power in my right eye is -2.75, cylinder - 0.50, and axis 20. In the left eye - 2.75, cylinder - 0.75, and axis 20. Please recommend what lens I should opt for. I need a recommendation for both regular wear a...  Read Full »

My contact lens has dried out. Can I use it?

Query: Hello Doctor, I did not use my contact lenses for two weeks. When I opened the lens case after 2 weeks, my coloured (monthly) lenses had dried out. One of the them seems to be a little smaller. Can I use it?  Read Full »

My pupils are big after cataract surgery. Why?

Query: Hi doctor, I had cataract surgery. I can see objects only with the rigid lens and it is blurry. I cannot read anything. My eyes still get hurt by bright light and my pupils are big. Why?  Read Full »