iCliniq logo

Ask a Doctor Online Now

HomeAnswersOphthalmology (Eye Care)dilated pupilWhat are the various ways to treat dilated pupil?

What are the treatment options available for dilated pupil?

What are the treatment options available for dilated pupil?

The following is an actual conversation between an iCliniq user and a doctor that has been reviewed and published as a Premium Q&A.

Answered by

Dr. Asif Manzoor

Medically reviewed by

iCliniq medical review team

Published At June 25, 2018
Reviewed AtFebruary 7, 2024

Patient's Query

Hi doctor,

I had a serious eye injury before 10 years due to cricket ball hit. At that time, my pupil got enlarged and dilated. Can it get treated now?

Answered by Dr. Asif Manzoor


Welcome to icliniq.com.

After blunt trauma, pupil constrictor muscles may be damaged and that causes permanently dilated pupil called traumatic mydriasis. This just causes mild blurring or photophobia in bright light due to large aperture. But, in case of trauma, there are more important things to see that can cause decreased vision like cornea, lens, retina etc. Is everything fine in your case? Can you see normal in that eye? If everything is alright, then we can discuss about treatment options. A simple way could be to use a colored contact lens with a small pupil. It is simple and no surgery required. The second is surgery in which purse-string suture has to apply to make the pupil smaller. But, this usually done when we have planned for some other procedure in the same eye like cataract surgery and these sutures applied in same the setting to minimize complications. There is artificial iris available and that can be implanted. But, they are expensive, need surgery and may have complications. I would recommend you to visit your ophthalmologist (eye doctor). He will do a complete eye examination and give the best option accordingly.

Same symptoms don't mean you have the same problem. Consult a doctor now!

Dr. Asif Manzoor
Dr. Asif Manzoor

Ophthalmology (Eye Care)

Community Banner Mobile
By subscribing, I agree to iCliniq's Terms & Privacy Policy.

Ask your health query to a doctor online

Ophthalmology (Eye Care)

*guaranteed answer within 4 hours

Disclaimer: No content published on this website is intended to be a substitute for professional medical diagnosis, advice or treatment by a trained physician. Seek advice from your physician or other qualified healthcare providers with questions you may have regarding your symptoms and medical condition for a complete medical diagnosis. Do not delay or disregard seeking professional medical advice because of something you have read on this website. Read our Editorial Process to know how we create content for health articles and queries.

This website uses cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. iCliniq privacy policy