Q. I have pain in the whole eyeball and I have blurry vision. How can this be treated?

Answered by
Dr. Rahul Vaswani
and medically reviewed by iCliniq medical review team.
This is a premium question & answer published on Nov 10, 2017

Hello doctor,

About 45 days ago, I received a trauma to my right eye in a street fight, after which a large part of the cornea became blood red. After three weeks, the redness went away and the eye started looking normal, but I am still having a lot of discomforts. I am listing all the symptoms below. There is a pain in the whole eyeball and sometimes in the bony region surrounding the eye. A mild dull pain which goes away on some days. It is particularly noticeable after spending a few hours looking at the phone or a computer screen. There are difficulty and mild pain in eye movement and focusing. There is a slightly blurry vision and increased watering of the eye. There is a feeling of something caught in the eye. Photo-sensitivity in the affected region of the eye especially noticeable upon opening the eye first time in the morning. A tiny light grey scar in the affected area of the eye. Awareness of the affected eye. It also feels like I am seeing with only the unaffected eye. The eye becomes slightly red after taking bath or splashing water and remains so for about an hour. None of the above symptoms were present before the trauma. The unaffected eye is free from all those symptoms. Both eyes look perfectly normal and white except for the tiny scar in the affected eye, though I am not sure if it is a scar.

I went to an ophthalmologist earlier this month and he said that there was swelling in the eye and everything would become normal soon. He prescribed two eyedrops which I am attaching here. After the treatment, the symptoms became milder and less noticeable than before but did not heal completely. So, I went to another ophthalmologist two days back. He examined the eye and said it was normal and only prescribed artificial tear drops. He checked power too and said there has been no vision loss in the affected eye but things do look more blurry with that eye. I was not convinced with his opinion because I am feeling all the symptoms I listed above. I do not know what to do. Please help.



Welcome to icliniq.com.

I went through the attachment (attachment removed to protect patient identity).

  • According to the prescription, the vision in the right eye after wearing glasses is 6/6. So, kindly wear your glasses permanently. The drops that have been given to you especially the Milflodex (Moxifloxacin and Dexamethasone) contains stronger steroids. Kindly do not use this drop longer than a month as it has its own side affect like causing glaucoma
  • My advice to you would be to change the drop to a milder steroid if at all you have to use like Tobramycin plus Fluorometholone and that too to be used for a couple of weeks and not more. Consult your specialist doctor, discuss with him or her and take the medicines with their consent.
  • If the pain still persists, visit an oculoplastic ophthalmologist and get a CT (computed tomography) scan of your orbit done to rule out any fracture of the bones around your eyes.
  • Can I get a closeup photograph of the scar that you have been talking about? I will be able to comment better whether this carries any significance or not.
  • Start wearing your spectacles regularly.

For more information consult an eye care ophthalmologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/eye-care-ophthalmologist

Thank you doctor,

I am attaching a close-up of the affected eye to show you the scar I talked about. In the image, it is looking yellowish, but in person, it is actually light grey in color. I have tried pointing it with an arrow. It is looking like a yellowish band starting from the iris and ending near the head of the drawn arrow. I hope you are able to locate it precisely. No such scar was there before the trauma. That is the spot where I feel like a dust particle is caught in the eye especially while blinking. That is also the spot which is very sensitive to light in the morning when I open the eye after waking up. Could you please suggest some medications to clear those symptoms and the scarring? I will try to describe the feeling that I have in the affected eye. If you close your eye and press it with a finger for a few seconds, and then open your eyes; that is the sensation and change in vision that I experience in the affected eye for the most part of the day though with a very mild intensity. Also, it feels like the corners of the eyes are sticking, and if I stretch open my eyelids with my fingers, things feel a lot comfortable. I am very afraid that I might have caught some infection and the symptoms that I have talked about will never go away. Please suggest some medications. I stopped using Milflodex after a week, as suggested by my doctor. It did make the symptoms milder. Also, is there any abnormality in the shape of the iris in the attached image? If so, what can be done about it? 



Welcome back to icliniq.com.

I have gone through your attachments (attachment removed to protect patient identity).

  • It is just a clotted blood that is changing its color and eventually, it will disappear. It looks like it will have no long-term consequences.
  • I suggest you start the following. Consult your specialist doctor, discuss with him or her and take the following medicines with their consent.
  1. Nepafenac eyedrop twice daily for 15 days between 7 a.m. and 7 p.m. This will fasten the process of blood removal and decrease inflammation.
  2. Iflomax (carbomer and vitamin A) eye ointment at bedtime.
  3. Lubrex (carboxymethylcellulose) eye drops four times a day.
  • Do wear your glasses continuously all times.

For more information consult an eye care ophthalmologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/eye-care-ophthalmologist


Was this answer helpful?


Related Questions:
What causes blurred vision even after cataract surgery?

.. your concern and want to assure you that it is usually just a benign increase in tearing in both eyes after surgery that causes such a picture. It settles down on its own and will not need any further treatment than your post-operative medication....   Read full

I got conjunctivitis 7 days back.I had red eye with eyelid swelling.Now redness is gone but blurring is present.What do I do?

Hello doctor,

I am very concerned and need an answer. I am seven weeks and pregnant and have had no complications so far. But, today, my clitoris feels way smaller then it did yesterday. And I am way more nauseous then I have been. I canno...   Read full

How can my blurred vision be treated?

Hello doctor,

I am very concerned and need an answer. I am seven weeks and pregnant and have had no complications so far. But, today, my clitoris feels way smaller then it did yesterday. And I am way more nauseous then I have been. I canno...   Read full

Also Read Answers From:

Comprehensive Medical Second Opinion.Submit your Case

Related Questions & Answers

What causes a bubble on the white part of the eyeball?

Query: Hello doctor, I have a clear bubble in the sclera of my eye in the corner close to the nose. This has not gotten any bigger and sometimes it appears smaller. It does not hurt. I have had it for years. My eyes dry a lot and I have an issue with dry eyes and allergies. Could this be serious? Sometim...  Read Full »

My brother has boils on his eyelids. What to do?

Query: Hello doctor, I am asking this question on behalf of my brother. He is 37 years of age, 5' 7" tall and approximately weighs 70 kg. He is not on any medication. He is a commercial airline pilot by profession and is perfectly fit to fly. He has recently passed his physical fitness exam that is conduc...  Read Full »

Also Read

Parkinson's Disease: Historical Aspects and Current Treatment Approaches
This article discusses the historical aspects of Parkinsonism and, the evidence based approaches currently available for...  Read more»
I am suffering from dry and scaly scalp. Is that scalp psoriasis?
Hello doctor, I am suffering from dry, scaly patches on the scalp for the last six to eight months. Since childhood, I h...  Read more»
Birth Control Methods - Facts, and Types
Devices or treatments done to prevent unwanted pregnancy are called birth control methods.In this article, I am going to...  Read more»

Ask your health query to a doctor online?

Ask an Eye Care Ophthalmologist Now

* guaranteed answer within 4 hours.

Disclaimer: All health Q&As published on this website are not intended to be a substitute for professional medical diagnosis, advice or treatment by a trained physician. Seek the advice from your physician or other qualified health-care providers with questions you may have regarding your symptoms and medical condition for a complete medical diagnosis. Do not delay or disregard seeking professional medical advice because of something you have read on this website.