Q. I have pain in the whole eyeball and I have blurry vision. How can this be treated?

Dr. Rahul Vaswani

About 45 days ago, I received a trauma to my right eye in a street fight, after which a large part of the cornea became blood red. After three weeks, the redness went away and the eye started looking normal, but I am still having a lot of discomforts. I am listing all the symptoms below. There is a pain in the whole eyeball and sometimes in the bony region surrounding the eye. A mild dull pain which goes away on some days. It is particularly noticeable after spending a few hours looking at the phone or a computer screen. There are difficulty and mild pain in eye movement and focusing. There is a slightly blurry vision and increased watering of the eye. There is a feeling of something caught in the eye. Photo-sensitivity in the affected region of the eye especially noticeable upon opening the eye first time in the morning. A tiny light grey scar in the affected area of the eye. Awareness of the affected eye. It also feels like I am seeing with only the unaffected eye. The eye becomes slightly red after taking bath or splashing water and remains so for about an hour. None of the above symptoms were present before the trauma. The unaffected eye is free from all those symptoms. Both eyes look perfectly normal and white except for the tiny scar in the affected eye, though I am not sure if it is a scar.

I went to an ophthalmologist earlier this month and he said that there was swelling in the eye and everything would become normal soon. He prescribed two eyedrops which I am attaching here. After the treatment, the symptoms became milder and less noticeable than before but did not heal completely. So, I went to another ophthalmologist two days back. He examined the eye and said it was normal and only prescribed artificial tear drops. He checked power too and said there has been no vision loss in the affected eye but things do look more blurry with that eye. I was not convinced with his opinion because I am feeling all the symptoms I listed above. I do not know what to do. Please help.

#

I went through the attachment (attachment removed to protect patient identity).

• According to the prescription, the vision in the right eye after wearing glasses is 6/6. So, kindly wear your glasses permanently. The drops that have been given to you especially the Milflodex (Moxifloxacin and Dexamethasone) contains stronger steroids. Kindly do not use this drop longer than a month as it has its own side affect like causing glaucoma
  • My advice to you would be to change the drop to a milder steroid if at all you have to use like Tobramycin plus Fluorometholone and that too to be used for a couple of weeks and not more. Consult your specialist doctor, discuss with him or her and take the medicines with their consent.
  • If the pain still persists, visit an oculoplastic ophthalmologist and get a CT (computed tomography) scan of your orbit done to rule out any fracture of the bones around your eyes.
  • Can I get a closeup photograph of the scar that you have been talking about? I will be able to comment better whether this carries any significance or not.
  • Start wearing your spectacles regularly.

For more information consult an eye care ophthalmologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/eye-care-ophthalmologist

I am attaching a close-up of the affected eye to show you the scar I talked about. In the image, it is looking yellowish, but in person, it is actually light grey in color. I have tried pointing it with an arrow. It is looking like a yellowish band starting from the iris and ending near the head of the drawn arrow. I hope you are able to locate it precisely. No such scar was there before the trauma. That is the spot where I feel like a dust particle is caught in the eye especially while blinking. That is also the spot which is very sensitive to light in the morning when I open the eye after waking up. Could you please suggest some medications to clear those symptoms and the scarring? I will try to describe the feeling that I have in the affected eye. If you close your eye and press it with a finger for a few seconds, and then open your eyes; that is the sensation and change in vision that I experience in the affected eye for the most part of the day though with a very mild intensity. Also, it feels like the corners of the eyes are sticking, and if I stretch open my eyelids with my fingers, things feel a lot comfortable. I am very afraid that I might have caught some infection and the symptoms that I have talked about will never go away. Please suggest some medications. I stopped using Milflodex after a week, as suggested by my doctor. It did make the symptoms milder. Also, is there any abnormality in the shape of the iris in the attached image? If so, what can be done about it? 

#

I have gone through your attachments (attachment removed to protect patient identity).

• It is just a clotted blood that is changing its color and eventually, it will disappear. It looks like it will have no long-term consequences.
  • I suggest you start the following. Consult your specialist doctor, discuss with him or her and take the following medicines with their consent.
  1. Nepafenac eyedrop twice daily for 15 days between 7 a.m. and 7 p.m. This will fasten the process of blood removal and decrease inflammation.
  2. Iflomax (carbomer and vitamin A) eye ointment at bedtime.
  3. Lubrex (carboxymethylcellulose) eye drops four times a day.
  • Do wear your glasses continuously all times.

|