Q. Can high blood sugar levels be managed without taking medications?

Dr. Gupta Ankush Dhaniram

For five days, my blood sugar in the morning (fasting) is 130 to 135 mg/dL, and two hours after the food is 140 to 150 mg/dL. My height is 175 cm, my weight is 70 kg, and I am quite healthy.

I know this means there is a problem as values are too high. My question is, is the fasting blood sugar still in a range to live without medication? Please advise what to do next. Best regards.

#

Your fasting blood sugar is on the higher side as it should be around 120 mg/dL. As you mentioned, you have no symptoms, and you are healthy. You should be able to control it with dietary modifications. Kindly tell your age and if you have any family history of diabetes like your mother or father.

I suggest the following management:

1. You need to reduce carbohydrates and fats in your diet.

2. Daily exercise for 30 minutes.

3. Regular blood sugar monitoring.

Kindly do these activities mentioned above and report back with progress. Thanks.

Thank you for the reply.

I am 50-years-old, my father has type 2 diabetes, and my grandparents had as well. Could you tell me the possible symptoms?

Thanks.

#

Symptoms of diabetes can be increased thirst, increased appetite, and more tiredness, and if blood sugar is very high, there can be a burning sensation on the feet and hands.

As your blood sugar is not very high, I would suggest you do dietary modifications as mentioned, do daily exercise to control weight, and regularly check your blood sugar. In case of blood sugar does not lower or keeps increasing, go to a diabetologist and consult.

Thanks.

|