Q. Why do I have high blood sugar levels despite taking medication?

Dr. Zulfiqar Ahmed

My sugar levels are very high. It is currently at 245. I need help to lower my diabetes.

I need a prescription for the tablet Januvia to help lower my sugar levels.

I am currently taking tablet Glucophage 500 mg.

#

Do you have HBA1c results?

What was the HBA1c result? It will show your average sugar over 2-3 months previously.

Diabetes has many complications, so it is not just to bring down the numbers but to monitor and treat complications associated with diabetes.

Kindly check the following-

1. Check your eyes for retinopathy.

2. Kidneys for urine albumin creatinine ratio.

3. Check your feet

Lifestyle modifications are the best treatment for diabetes-

1. Low carbohydrate diet and no added sugar. Avoid sugary juices, bread, rice, pasta, and potatoes. If you cannot stop, at least take a minimum quantity.

2. More vegetables, salads, and fiber.

3. Fruits only as a sweet dish. Do not take mango, grapes, and banana. Apple, not more than one piece. Strawberries and other berries are acceptable, along with peaches, apricot, and small amounts of plums.

4. Intermittent Fasting will also help to control your diabetes. You can fast for 16 hours, like taking your dinner at 7 pm and avoiding eating anything after that. You can take breakfast at 11 am. During fasting, drink water and green tea without sugar. You can extend fasting to 24 hours and then 36 hours as your body adapts. Fasting can be done two times a week or as you feel comfortable. It will help to control your sugar.

5. Drink more water.

6. Sleep well.

7. Exercise or walk 30-40 minutes daily.

8. Check your sugar frequently. Your fasting sugar level should be 90-130. 2 hours after eating, the sugar level should be 150-160.

HBA1c should be less than 7.

These targets can vary in individual patients depending upon their diabetes duration and other relevant issues.

Please inform me about the dosage of the tablet Glucophage that you are using.

Are you taking any other medicine currently?

Thank you for the answer.

I am currently taking tablet Glucophage 500 mg twice daily.

My last HBA1C was 9.

I am currently eating between 10 am to 8 pm.

Can I get a prescription?

#

Your sugar is high, so I suggest you increase your dosage of tablet Glucophage to one gram twice daily and start tablet Januvia 100 mg once daily.

How is your urea creatinine?

If you did not check, you should check it before starting the tablet Januvia and increasing the dose of tablet Glucophage.

|