Q. What test should I do for smelly and yellow urine?

Answered by
Dr. Sampada Avinash Thakare
and medically reviewed by iCliniq medical review team.
This is a premium question & answer published on Jul 25, 2016 and last reviewed on: Oct 09, 2018

Hi doctor,

I have been suffering from prostate infection for the past six months. It started with blood in urine and then burning sensation while urinating. I am also having smelly and yellow urine. Before this, I got mouth ulcers. Also, I had itching sensation throughout the body mainly in the chest, hand and back. It comes in the evening and night. I had lots of antibiotics, but still the issue has not resolved. It seems like STI. I have done the tests for HIV, HSV, Chlamydia, THPA and I have attached the test results for your reference. Everything is fine. Can it be Gonorrhea? As there is no test available for it. Also, can you please tell me the antibiotics course to be taken for Gonorrhea? I can try and check if it is resolving the problem.



Welcome to

  • Is it accompanied by joint pains? Have you done urine culture and sensitivity?
  • Left varicocele causes should be ruled by doing a complete ultrasonography of the abdomen and CT KUB (kidney, ureter and bladder).
  • Serum PSA (prostate specific antigen) should be checked. Have you been checked for diabetes?
  • Gonococcal urethritis can be confirmed by urethral discharge culture.
  • Please see Reiter's disease symptoms (condition of arthritis, conjunctivitis and urethritis). If you feel you have any, then we can discuss further on it.

Revert back with the answers to the above questions to a venereologist online -->

Thank you doctor,

There is no joint pain. I still did not have any urine culture and sensitivity test. I had done an ultrasound of the abdomen, which suggested fatty liver and symptoms of cystitis. Also the body itching goes worse on having non-vegetarian food. I just checked for blood sugar and it is normal.



Welcome back to

  • You should first do urine culture and sensitivity and take appropriate antibiotics. Taking random antibiotics is like shooting in dark and hoping to hit the target.
  • Cystitis at your age is very leas likely unless there is a urinary tract defect or diabetes.
  • Try to get a CT KUB done and also HbA1c done. Do a serum PSA level and check your serum creatinine, calcium, phosphorus and urea too.

For further information consult a venereologist online -->

Was this answer helpful?


Same symptoms doesn’t mean you have the same problem. Consult a doctor now!

Related Questions:
Diabetes Mellitus and Oral Health

Diabetes mellitus is a metabolic disorder which affects the uptake and use of glucose by the human body ... Types Of Diabetes Insulin-dependent diabetes mellitus:...   Read full

My HbA1c is 7.5. Should I continue my tablet for diabetes?

So, I would suggest you to continue with tablet Glyciphage 500 mg (Metformin) with breakfast and with dinner for a month along with diet management and regular exercise ...   Read full

Can varicocele cause infertility?

.. insignificant varicocele and that will not affect fertility. Your testicle size is normal. Testosterone level is low normal. Penis size of more than 3.5 inches is normal. For fat in the lower body and for low testosterone you need to do the follow...   Read full


Also Read Answers From:

ideaComprehensive Medical Second Opinion.Submit your Case

Also Read

Relation Between Enamel Hypoplasia and Dental Caries
Enamel hypoplasia is due to incomplete or defective formation in the organic matrix, which forms the first layer of the ...  Read more»
Methods to Increase Breast Milk Production
Several measures can help mothers in increasing their breast milk production. Find out the correct way to breastfeed thr...  Read more»
Ingrown Hair: How Can You Prevent and Treat It
An ingrown hair is a hair strand that grows back into the skin after a clean shave or waxing. It appears as a raised dar...  Read more»

Ask your health query to a doctor online?

Ask a Venereologist Now

* guaranteed answer within 4 hours.

Disclaimer: No content published on this website is intended to be a substitute for professional medical diagnosis, advice or treatment by a trained physician. Seek advice from your physician or other qualified healthcare providers with questions you may have regarding your symptoms and medical condition for a complete medical diagnosis. Do not delay or disregard seeking professional medical advice because of something you have read on this website. Read our Editorial Process to know how we create content for health articles and queries.