Q. What test should I do for smelly and yellow urine?

Dr. Sampada Avinash Thakare
This is a premium question & answer published on Jul 25, 2016 and last reviewed on: Oct 09, 2018

I have been suffering from prostate infection for the past six months. It started with blood in urine and then burning sensation while urinating. I am also having smelly and yellow urine. Before this, I got mouth ulcers. Also, I had itching sensation throughout the body mainly in the chest, hand and back. It comes in the evening and night. I had lots of antibiotics, but still the issue has not resolved. It seems like STI. I have done the tests for HIV, HSV, Chlamydia, THPA and I have attached the test results for your reference. Everything is fine. Can it be Gonorrhea? As there is no test available for it. Also, can you please tell me the antibiotics course to be taken for Gonorrhea? I can try and check if it is resolving the problem.

#

• Is it accompanied by joint pains? Have you done urine culture and sensitivity?
  • Left varicocele causes should be ruled by doing a complete ultrasonography of the abdomen and CT KUB (kidney, ureter and bladder).
  • Serum PSA (prostate specific antigen) should be checked. Have you been checked for diabetes?
  • Gonococcal urethritis can be confirmed by urethral discharge culture.
  • Please see Reiter's disease symptoms (condition of arthritis, conjunctivitis and urethritis). If you feel you have any, then we can discuss further on it.

Revert back with the answers to the above questions to a venereologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/venereologist

There is no joint pain. I still did not have any urine culture and sensitivity test. I had done an ultrasound of the abdomen, which suggested fatty liver and symptoms of cystitis. Also the body itching goes worse on having non-vegetarian food. I just checked for blood sugar and it is normal.

#

• You should first do urine culture and sensitivity and take appropriate antibiotics. Taking random antibiotics is like shooting in dark and hoping to hit the target.
  • Cystitis at your age is very leas likely unless there is a urinary tract defect or diabetes.
  • Try to get a CT KUB done and also HbA1c done. Do a serum PSA level and check your serum creatinine, calcium, phosphorus and urea too.

For further information consult a venereologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/venereologist

|