Q. Should I undergo varicocelectomy?

Dr. Saurabh S Pandya
Published on Jan 17, 2017 and last reviewed on: Oct 09, 2018

I am a 23 year old male. I have no BP, diabetes or thyroid problems. Last month, I was diagnosed with grade 1 varicocele. I consulted my home town doctor for treatments, and he prescribed few medicines. However, he did not say anything to my queries. Is my testicles size normal? I am experiencing mild dragging sensation at the left side of the lower abdomen and left pelvis area even after medication. And also I observed that my left testicle is shrinking in size. Should I  undergo varicocelectomy surgery? If gone through the surgery, can my testicle size regains its original size? Which is the better option- a varicocelectomy or emboilization or laparoscopy? How much is the average surgery cost at normal hospitals? Please clarify my each and every doubt. I was taking Hetrazan100. I used to take this medicine thrice per day, and I took it for one month. After that, I had Levomac 500. I am currently taking this one per day and has been taking for past five days.

#

• On sonography, testicular vein diameter should be more than 3 mm and reflux should occur on Valsalva. So in your case, it can be called a mild varicocele. The left groin pain may be due to varicocele.
  • The average testis volume has to be around 12 to 15 cubic centimeter. So, your testicular size is within normal limits. Try wearing tight-fitting underwear (V). If pain persists or in future if there is a discrepancy in size of testis compared to the right side, then you may require surgery. 
  • Even after surgery, a small testis will not regain its size but its current function will be maintained.
  • Microsurgical open varicocelectomy is best in terms of result and patient comfort. The cost of the surgery is within a lakh with one day in the general ward.

For further information consult a urologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/urologist

| 

Thank you doctor,

If I go for varicocelectomy, will there be any problems in future? I have a medical examination in next month can I qualify after surgery? Will everything will be okay after surgery? Is there any chance of left side testicle atrophy after a surgery?

#

• The rare side effects of varicocele surgery are atrophy, hydrocele and poor testicular function. But these are very rare.
  • You can undergo medical examination. In a sub-inguinal approach, the scar is below the line of pubic hair and so it will not be visible.

| 

Can varicocele cause infertility?

Query: Hi doctor, I am a 23 year old male. I was diagnosed to have grade 1 varicocele. I attached USG report. Can varicocele cause infertility? From the report, kindly let me know my testicle size. Is my testicle size normal? Recently, I have been putting weight, especially my lower body increases more tha...  Read Full »

Is surgery mandatory for epididymo-orchitis?

Query: Hello doctor,I am a 32 year old male. Is surgery mandatory for epididymo-orchitis, with impression hydrocele and internal septations?  Read Full »

What may be the possible cause for pain in testicles?

Query: Hello doctor, I am 18 years old. About a week ago, as I lifted some heavy plates, both my hands started shaking and I dropped them. When I returned home, I felt some pain in my testicles. But, that was not a constant pain. So, after three days of pain, I went to see a urologist. He did a physical e...  Read Full »