Q. Can varicocele cause infertility?

Dr. Purushottam Sah
This is a premium question & answer published on Nov 18, 2016 and last reviewed on: Nov 07, 2020

I am a 23 year old male. I was diagnosed to have grade 1 varicocele. I attached USG report. Can varicocele cause infertility? From the report, kindly let me know my testicle size. Is my testicle size normal? Recently, I have been putting weight, especially my lower body increases more than my upper body. Fat sticks to thighs and buttocks, which are embarrassing to me. I have undergone total testosterone. Is my report normal? I gave sample at 12 PM. Even at that time total T value should lie in between average, but my T value falls to a lower value. Why? Is that due to small testicle? My penis size is 5 inches and girth is 4.5 inches on erection. Is this normal? Will the size of testicle reduce with age? Please clarify my doubts.

#

• You have insignificant varicocele and that will not affect fertility. Your testicle size is normal.
  • Testosterone level is low normal. Penis size of more than 3.5 inches is normal.
  • For fat in the lower body and for low testosterone you need to do the following blood tests. Serum TSH (thyroid stimulating hormone), LH (luteinizing hormone) and estradiol.
  • Testes size may change over the years, but your size is normal.

For further information consult a sexologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/sexologist

When should I give the blood sample for the mentioned tests? Is it in the morning before 7 AM?

#

• You can give blood sample at 7 to 9 AM or 2 to 4 PM.
  • LH (luteinizing hormone) should be tested with serum, three samples taken at intervals of 30 minutes and mixed together. There is no need for empty stomach.

For further doubts consult a sexologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/sexologist

| 

Will increased TSH level harm the baby's brain growth?

Query: Hi doctor, I am 26 years old. My height is 5'1" and weight is 52.4. I am 20 weeks pregnant now. I underwent a surgery for complete thyroidectomy and I am taking Thyroxin 100 mcg regularly. In my first trimester, the TSH level was 0.31 and the doctor advised me to continue the same dosage of medici...  Read Full »

My penis has a narrow opening as the lower attachment is not broken down. Please help.

Query: Hello doctor, I have a 5.5-inch penis but it has a narrow opening because the front lower attachment is not broken down. I am 21 years old. Please advice about it. Also, tell me if with any treatment my penis length can be increased.  Read Full »

Why am I losing more hair in the crown region?

Query: Hello doctor, I am a 37 year old woman. I weigh 70 kg and my height is 5 feet 4 inches. I am facing severe hairfall problem. I can see the roots coming out with the hair. I am a working professional, had premature graying so I used to apply color to cover gray. Last year I had Adgain capsules and ...  Read Full »

I get twitches on my calves, shoulders, and head after getting the Novavax COVID vaccine. Please help.
Hello doctor, I got the Novavax COVID vaccine. Since I had the vaccine, I had bad arm pain. But the scary thing that ha...  Read more»
It hurts when I push above my left breast bone. Please help.
Hi doctor, I have been having some chest pain issues. When I push above my left breast bone it hurts in only one spot. ...  Read more»
Bird Flu (Avian Influenza) - Causes, Symptoms, Mortality Rate, and Treatment
Bird flu or avian influenza is a viral infection that spreads among birds and can affect humans rarely. Read the article...  Read more»

Ask a Sexologist Now