HomeAnswersSexologyvaricoceleCan a man with varicocele get a woman pregnant?

Can varicocele cause infertility?


The following is an actual conversation between an iCliniq user and a doctor that has been reviewed and published as a Premium Q&A.

Medically reviewed by

iCliniq medical review team

Published At November 18, 2016
Reviewed AtNovember 7, 2020

Patient's Query

Hi doctor,

I am a 23 year old male. I was diagnosed to have grade 1 varicocele. I attached USG report. Can varicocele cause infertility? From the report, kindly let me know my testicle size. Is my testicle size normal? Recently, I have been putting weight, especially my lower body increases more than my upper body. Fat sticks to thighs and buttocks, which are embarrassing to me. I have undergone total testosterone. Is my report normal? I gave sample at 12 PM. Even at that time total T value should lie in between average, but my T value falls to a lower value. Why? Is that due to small testicle? My penis size is 5 inches and girth is 4.5 inches on erection. Is this normal? Will the size of testicle reduce with age? Please clarify my doubts.


Welcome to icliniq.com.

  • You have insignificant varicocele and that will not affect fertility. Your testicle size is normal.
  • Testosterone level is low normal. Penis size of more than 3.5 inches is normal.
  • For fat in the lower body and for low testosterone you need to do the following blood tests. Serum TSH (thyroid stimulating hormone), LH (luteinizing hormone) and estradiol.
  • Testes size may change over the years, but your size is normal.

For further information consult a sexologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/sexologist

Patient's Query

Hi doctor,

When should I give the blood sample for the mentioned tests? Is it in the morning before 7 AM?


Welcome back to icliniq.com.

  • You can give blood sample at 7 to 9 AM or 2 to 4 PM.
  • LH (luteinizing hormone) should be tested with serum, three samples taken at intervals of 30 minutes and mixed together. There is no need for empty stomach.

For further doubts consult a sexologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/sexologist

Same symptoms don't mean you have the same problem. Consult a doctor now!

Dr. Purushottam Sah
Dr. Purushottam Sah

Obstetrics and Gynecology

Community Banner Mobile
By subscribing, I agree to iCliniq's Terms & Privacy Policy.

Ask your health query to a doctor online


*guaranteed answer within 4 hours

Disclaimer: No content published on this website is intended to be a substitute for professional medical diagnosis, advice or treatment by a trained physician. Seek advice from your physician or other qualified healthcare providers with questions you may have regarding your symptoms and medical condition for a complete medical diagnosis. Do not delay or disregard seeking professional medical advice because of something you have read on this website. Read our Editorial Process to know how we create content for health articles and queries.

This website uses cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. iCliniq privacy policy