Q. Why is creatinine level increased in IgA nephropathy patient?

I am 57 years old and have IgA nephropathy for the past eight years which is being treated with Cardace 10 mg, Minipress XL 5 mg, Lipitor 10 mg, and fish oil capsules. I had an ultrasound eight months back which showed normal kidneys. Also, I have a benign prostate (grade 1) and not under medication. BP is around 130/80 mmHg. My recent test results for this month are as follows:

1. Routine urine examination showed no protein or blood ( six months back it showed protein as trace, and blood as nil).
  2. Total cholesterol: 144 mg/dl.
  3. Serum Creatinine: 1.3 mg/dl (this was 1.2 mg/dl for the past two years).
  4. My platelet count has been historically low varying from 128,000 to 150,000 cells per cubic mm of blood. The latest test shows a platelet count of 116,000 per cubic mm of blood.
  5. BUN (blood urea nitrogen): 16.3 mg/dl.
  6. PSA: 1.05 ng/ml.
  7. Albumin in urine: 68.6 mg/L with ACR at 98.18 ug/mg.

I am concerned as the creatinine which was 1.2 mg/dl for the past two years (I test every six months) has increased to 1.3 mg/dl this month. My platelet count continues to be below the range. I would appreciate your views on the above regarding whether there is any cause for concern or I can continue current medication. I exercise daily for about 45 minutes.

#

There is a rise in creatinine, but that needs to be vigilant to check if we are missing any reason for the rise. We do not have any medicine to reduce creatinine levels. We need to keep the disease activity under control. Your blood pressure should be 120/80 mmHg. You should not be taking any painkillers. So, you should get your serum creatinine repeated on a monthly basis.

For more information consult a nephrologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/nephrologist

I was earlier checking the serum creatine from a laboratory where the range was 0.5 to 1.2 mg/dl, and my test results were 1.2 mg/dl. The latest serum creatinine test done was from another laboratory, and their range was 0.72 to 1.25 mg/dl, and my test result was 1.3 mg/dl, i.e., marginally over the range. Kindly tell me whether this marginal rise should be a concern given that other values like BUN etc., were fine.

#

See, if it rises persistently, then yes it is a concern. Normally, we consider significant rise, if creatinine rise is more then 25 % of baseline value. So, in your case, baseline is 1.2 mg/dl, so the rise is not more than 25 %. So, we can wait and watch.

|