Q. My mother has CKD with creatinine level 6. 3. What has to be done?

Dr. Abhishek Dixit
This is a premium question & answer published on Mar 01, 2018 and last reviewed on: Oct 09, 2018

My mother is 56 years old and she is having CKD with creatinine level 6.3. Her BP is around 130/80 mmHg and blood sugar below 150 mg/dl for the past three months. Kindly guide me.

#

BP and sugar are in normal range. What questions do you have regarding creatinine?

For more information consult a nephrologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/nephrologist

Kindly guide me regarding creatinine and her diet. She is very weak these days and her platelets are below one lakh per microliter of blood.

#

What is the cause of CKD (chronic kidney disease)? Is it diabetes? Diet should be low salt (less than 4 gm), low sugar, and low protein (0.8 gm/kg per day). It should be low potassium that is no fruits except apple, pear, papaya or guava, no soups, juices and green leafy vegetables. CKD per se does not cause a decrease in platelet.

I see you have done urine culture that means she had fever. I would recommend checking for dengue.

No, urine culture was suggested by the doctor, and she does not have a fever. The cause of CKD is diabetes because she is having a history of diabetes for the last 15 years, but these days her sugar level is low (below 150 always). What are the remedies for weakness? Also, she is breathing heavily for the last few days. Is it fine to give that papaya leaves to increase platelets?

#

Papaya can be given but the evidence that it will help is very poor. Breathlessness, weakness with a creatinine of 6 are the signs of needing dialysis. Consult your nephrologist regarding initiation of dialysis. Uremia per se can cause decreased platelets.

|