Q. My mother has CKD with creatinine level 6. 3. What has to be done?

Dr. Abhishek Dixit
Published on Mar 01, 2018 and last reviewed on: Oct 09, 2018

My mother is 56 years old and she is having CKD with creatinine level 6.3. Her BP is around 130/80 mmHg and blood sugar below 150 mg/dl for the past three months. Kindly guide me.

Dr. Abhishek Dixit

General Medicine Internal Medicine Nephrology
#

BP and sugar are in normal range. What questions do you have regarding creatinine?

For more information consult a nephrologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/nephrologist

Kindly guide me regarding creatinine and her diet. She is very weak these days and her platelets are below one lakh per microliter of blood.

Dr. Abhishek Dixit

#

What is the cause of CKD (chronic kidney disease)? Is it diabetes? Diet should be low salt (less than 4 gm), low sugar, and low protein (0.8 gm/kg per day). It should be low potassium that is no fruits except apple, pear, papaya or guava, no soups, juices and green leafy vegetables. CKD per se does not cause a decrease in platelet.

I see you have done urine culture that means she had fever. I would recommend checking for dengue.

No, urine culture was suggested by the doctor, and she does not have a fever. The cause of CKD is diabetes because she is having a history of diabetes for the last 15 years, but these days her sugar level is low (below 150 always). What are the remedies for weakness? Also, she is breathing heavily for the last few days. Is it fine to give that papaya leaves to increase platelets?

Dr. Abhishek Dixit

#

Papaya can be given but the evidence that it will help is very poor. Breathlessness, weakness with a creatinine of 6 are the signs of needing dialysis. Consult your nephrologist regarding initiation of dialysis. Uremia per se can cause decreased platelets.

Diabetes and Eyes

Article Overview: Diabetes is one of the leading cause for permanent blindness. It is very essential for us to know to avoid the complications of diabetes. Micro-vascular complications will involve eyes, kidneys and nerves in common. But early detection and prevention will avoid permanent disability. Read Article

Dr. Pratap Vgm
Diabetologist

"EYES are the most beautiful organs created by nature which enables us to have vision. It is very important factor for individuals to be independent in their life" Diabetes is a metabolic syndrome entity which is characterized by hyperglycemia, high blood pressure and dyslipedemia. It causes variou...  Read Article

My mother is suffering from chronic kidney disease. Can she avoid dialysis?

Query: Hi doctor, My mother is suffering from chronic kidney disease, and her creatinine level is 9.8 mg/dL. She has a history of diabetes for the past 25 years. She is taking Insulin from the beginning. She has hypertension for the past 35 years. Her hemoglobin is about 11.0 gm/dL. Her eyesight has been ...  Read Full >>

Dr. Y Siva Roja

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I have reviewed your query. There are specific indications for dialysis in patients with chronic kidney disease. They include low creatinine clearance, high potassium, patient becoming acidotic, symptoms of uremia (increased urea in the blood), loss of appetite, urem...  Read Full

Ask a Nephrologist Now