Q. What does high homocysteine level indicate?

Dr. Albana Greca
This is a premium question & answer published on Apr 17, 2018 and last reviewed on: Oct 09, 2018

I have got my complete blood test check done and found out that certain tests under different heads have high values (more than the reference range). I can send you this test in soft copy format and would like to find out if there is something serious about which I should visit a hospital. I have been losing body weight at a fast rate, already lost almost 8 to 10 kg in the last six months and still shrinking. I feel fatigue, loss of appetite, immunity, etc. Please let me know if I am heading towards any serious medical problem. Looking forward to hearing from you soon.

#

I have gone through your medical history carefully and the lab results you sent in (attachment removed to protect patient identity).

High homocysteine levels are indicating that your diet is high in animal meat. This explains high triglycerides and high uric acid levels.

Altogether these high levels are related to high chances for cardiovascular events.

If you start changing your diet habits, then these levels will get reduced, consequently, your risk will get reduced too.

Let me know if you have any other questions.

For more information consult a general medicine physician online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/general-medicine-physician

|