My LDL cholesterol is high. What do I do about this?

Q. Would you please give your advice on my high LDL levels?

Answered by
Dr. Sagar Ramesh Makode
and medically reviewed by Dr. K Shobana
This is a premium question & answer published on Jan 19, 2022 and last reviewed on: Jul 19, 2023

Hello doctor,

My LDL cholesterol is high. My primary doctor said I had a slight leak in one of my heart valves, but I did not consult any doctors. I am wondering if I should do something about it? Would you please give me your advice on this? Regards.



Welcome to

Thanks for writing in, and I understand your concern. Firstly I need to have a look at your echocardiogram report. So I guess, most probably, this is an insignificant abnormality on echocardiogram and may not require any assessment or treatment. However, trivial leaks usually occur across the valves, and when it increases in severity, it is only considered abnormal, requiring evaluation. Share your echocardiogram report after it is available to confirm the severity. Also, can you tell me how much your LDL level is? Secondly, if it is not severely elevated, dietary and lifestyle modifications should be undertaken, like reducing the intake of oily, fried, high-calorie food and regular exercises. Repeat low-density lipoproteins (LDL) test. It should be done after two to three months to see the response of healthy lifestyle. So, in a nutshell, the slight leak is probably a normal finding. However, I can confirm after seeing your echocardiogram report. I hope this helps you. Regards.

Hello doctor,

Thank you for your response. I have been dealing with high LDL for a few years now. It runs in my family. The last time I got my blood tests, it was 200 mg/dL, but my HDL was in the normal range. I will share the echocardiogram report as soon as I get it. Thank you.



Welcome back to

I hope we are talking about LDL cholesterol only and not total cholesterol. Alright, so the LDL of 200 mg/dL is high and needs aggressive control. If dietary and lifestyle modifications are not helping, you should be on medications like statins, as it is a strong risk factor for cardiovascular diseases. Suppose your family members have similar levels and any of them are diagnosed with cardiovascular diseases or had one in the past. In that case, it will put you at a higher risk of acquiring cardiovascular (CV) diseases. They start from an early age, so they should be addressed early in life rather than waiting until middle age or above. Regards.

Was this answer helpful?


Same symptoms doesn’t mean you have the same problem. Consult a doctor now!

Related Questions:
Do I need to take medicine for high cholesterol?

.. should be started on statins preferably Atorvastatin 10 mg at bedtime and also low fat diet and regular exercise for 30 minutes daily. Are suffering from any other disease than high cholesterol? Are you hypertensive or diabetic?   Read full

My LDL cholesterol is 169 mg/dL. Do I have any liver damage?

Hi doctor, I had a blood test yesterday, and it shows that I have the following results: My question is (do I have to worry about my liver function while GPT (ALT) is 52 U/L and LDL cholesterol is 169 mg/dL .   Read full

According to my report, what should be my paleo diet?

5 years before, I was diagnosed as having NASH, GERD, Lax LES and high cholesterol ... High total cholesterol, low HDL (high-density lipoprotein) and high LDL (low-density lipoprotein) ...   Read full

Also Read Answers From:

ideaComprehensive Medical Second Opinion.Submit your Case

Also Read

PCOS and Liver Problems
The hormonal imbalances in polycystic ovary syndrome could cause liver diseases. Read the article to know the relationship between these medical conditions.  Read more»
Inferior Alveolar Nerve Lateralization Technique
The inferior alveolar nerve lateralization technique is a surgical lateralization technique to reposition the nerve. Read the article to know more about this.  Read more»
COVID-19 and Ebola: Similarities and Differences
This article gives a comparison and broader overview of the outbreak of the two deadliest diseases that showed a greater incidence over the last two decades.  Read more»

Ask your health query to a doctor online?

Ask a Cardiologist Now

* guaranteed answer within 4 hours.

Disclaimer: No content published on this website is intended to be a substitute for professional medical diagnosis, advice or treatment by a trained physician. Seek advice from your physician or other qualified healthcare providers with questions you may have regarding your symptoms and medical condition for a complete medical diagnosis. Do not delay or disregard seeking professional medical advice because of something you have read on this website. Read our Editorial Process to know how we create content for health articles and queries.