Q. Is it possible to get nerve related problems due to high lipids and blood glucose levels?

Answered by Dr. Prabhakar Laxman Jathar and medically reviewed by Dr. Divya Banu M
Do you have a question on Nerve Damage or Blood Glucose Level? We have medical experts to help you right away. Ask a Doctor Now »

I have developed symptoms of nerve dysfunction (burning, tingling, etc.) but all the nerve related tests were normal. Over the past 9 to 12 months, my diet was poor, I am about 70 pounds overweight, age 40, and have high LDL. My blood glucose last year was 86, then it went up to 97 by the fall, and then up to 106 this year. I went on a diet and lost 20 lbs so far, but the test this week was at 101 after a 12-hour fast.

My question is this: Can a blood glucose around 100 to 105 and high lipids for numerous months cause any nerve related symptoms?