Q. Is it possible to get nerve related problems due to high lipids and blood glucose levels?

Dr. Prabhakar Laxman Jathar

I have developed symptoms of nerve dysfunction (burning, tingling, etc.) but all the nerve related tests were normal. Over the past 9 to 12 months, my diet was poor, I am about 70 pounds overweight, age 40, and have high LDL. My blood glucose last year was 86, then it went up to 97 by the fall, and then up to 106 this year. I went on a diet and lost 20 lbs so far, but the test this week was at 101 after a 12-hour fast.

My question is this: Can a blood glucose around 100 to 105 and high lipids for numerous months cause any nerve related symptoms?

Dr. Prabhakar Laxman Jathar

Diabetology General Practitioner
#

I have seen the details given. The glucose levels mentioned are normal. Only 106 mg shows a pre-diabetic fasting level. These levels are unlikely to affect the nerve function. From your information, I get a feeling that you do not have diabetes. Is that right? In that case the nerve related issue is not due to glucose levels at all.

It may be related to your obesity. With a BMI of 37.07 kg/sq meter (normal < 25 kg/sq meter) you are already in grade 2 obesity. Your ideal body weight should be 77 kg (169.4 pounds). Which means there is an excess of over 81 pounds. That could be the culprit. Plus it can be the cause for precipitating diabetes in the coming years.

| 

Tricep twitching after electric shock. Could it be nerve damage?

Query: Hello doctor,I received an electrical shock last night. The shock did not hurt, just felt it go up my arm and across my chest. I dropped the probe right when I felt it. No burn marks. Afterward, I was having sharp pains in my chest. I went to the ER, docs did EKG, took blood and urine, said everythi...  Read Full »

A 52 year old male is unable to walk due to nerve damage. Kindly help.

Query: Hello doctor,My uncle is 52 years old. He had an issue when he was in his young age. His nerve got pinched and due to that incident, he is not able to walk properly. He has gone through so many tests recently. But we are not satisfied with the treatment. Please, clear whom should we consult.  Read Full »

Kindly help me reduce the higher values shown in my blood report.

Query: Hi doctor, I am suffering from stomach bloating and gastric problem. I had a blood test and the report is as below. Total cholesterol 208 mg/dL, triglyceride 253 mg/dL, HDL 38 mg/dL, LDL 119 mg/dL, SGOT (AST) 63 U/L, SGPT (ALT) ...  Read Full »

Ask a Diabetologist Now