Q. Is increase in neutrophils common during pregnancy?

Published on Jan 21, 2018 and last reviewed on: Jul 16, 2019

My wife is in her 31st week of pregnancy with neutrophils at 77.3% and lymphocytes at 11.6% which is low. Again RBC, PCV and platelet count is also low. I am really worried what can be the reason.

Cardiology General Medicine Internal Medicine
#

These are likely physiological, normal changes which occur during pregnancy.

There is an increase in neutrophils and relative fall in lymphocytes.

Also, there is mild fall in platelet count and hemoglobin.

Only low hemoglobin is treated with iron supplements during pregnancy, which I guess she must be receiving.

Other parameters do not need any treatment if she is not having any unusual symptoms like fever and it settles after pregnancy.

Get her examined by a local doctor once, if not visited yet.

Also, it is better if you can upload her full hemogram report and also previous reports if available for comparison.

Overall, she does not appear to be a matter of worry to me.

For more information consult an internal medicine physician online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/internal-medicine-physician

Intermenstrual Bleeding or Spotting - Is it Normal or Should I be Worried?

Article Overview: Intermenstrual vaginal bleeding or spotting or bleeding between periods is considered abnormal and may usually require a patient seeing a doctor. It is also termed metrorrhagia. Normally, a woman has a regular menstrual cycle of 28 days with ranges between 21-35 days considered normal and menses can last for 2-7 days. Any bleeding out of these are considered abnormal.  Read Article

Dr. Nsah Bernard

Causes of Intermenstrual bleeding: Intermenstrual bleeding or bleeding between periods can be caused by a vast number of factors which may be physical or organic and psychosocial. If you are experiencing intermenstrual bleeding, then your doctor maybe a able to rule out one of the below most probab...  Read Article

Ectopic Pregnancy

Article Overview: In an ectopic pregnancy, the fertilized egg gets attached anywhere outside the uterus. Ectopic pregnancies are very common and occur in about 1 in every 50 pregnancies. It is a medical emergency and if left untreated, can also be fatal. Read Article

Dr. Sneha Kannan

What is an Ectopic Pregnancy? Fertilization of the ovum by sperm takes place in the fallopian tubes. After fertilization, the fertilized egg travels through the fallopian tube to the uterus. Normally, this embryo gets attached to the wall of the uterus and develops. In an ectopic pregnancy, the fer...  Read Article

High fever and swollen lymph node. Is it a bacterial or viral infection?

Query: Hello doctor, My son has been sick with a high fever (between 101.7 to 103) and swollen lymph node on one side of his jaw right beneath his left ear, complained of pain in the neck, and pain inside his mouth. I took him to his pediatrician the following day and was prescribed Clindamycin 150 mg thr...  Read Full »