Q. Is increase in neutrophils common during pregnancy?

This is a premium question & answer published on Jan 21, 2018 and last reviewed on: Jul 16, 2019

My wife is in her 31st week of pregnancy with neutrophils at 77.3% and lymphocytes at 11.6% which is low. Again RBC, PCV and platelet count is also low. I am really worried what can be the reason.

#

These are likely physiological, normal changes which occur during pregnancy.

There is an increase in neutrophils and relative fall in lymphocytes.

Also, there is mild fall in platelet count and hemoglobin.

Only low hemoglobin is treated with iron supplements during pregnancy, which I guess she must be receiving.

Other parameters do not need any treatment if she is not having any unusual symptoms like fever and it settles after pregnancy.

Get her examined by a local doctor once, if not visited yet.

Also, it is better if you can upload her full hemogram report and also previous reports if available for comparison.

Overall, she does not appear to be a matter of worry to me.

For more information consult an internal medicine physician online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/internal-medicine-physician

|