Q. Why are WBC and neutrophils chronically high even if no infection is present?

Dr. Singh Smrita
This is a premium question & answer published on Jan 25, 2018 and last reviewed on: Aug 02, 2022

My reports show chronically high WBC above 15 and neutrophils above 10 recent CRP of 8.8. No infection can be found, but I was treated with two rounds of antibiotics- Amoxicillin and Clarithromycin. I repeated CBC, and the numbers were higher. My doctor said maybe this was going to be my normal. Is this possible? For the last six months, I have also been experiencing abdominal pain, moderate nausea, and unintended weight loss. My current medication includes Losec 40 mg and Coversyl Plus 8 mg. Please help.

#

I read your query and understand your concern.

Your elevated WBC count and increased percentage of neutrophils are suggestive of an acute bacterial infection or some other acute inflammatory process.

Your history of abdominal pain, nausea, and unintended weight loss need to be investigated.

Since infection has been ruled out and you have also been treated with antibiotics, I would suggest that you get inflammatory conditions ruled out.

In noninfectious conditions, such as burns, a postoperative state, acute asthma, myocardial infarction, acute attacks of gout, acute glomerulonephritis, rheumatic fever, collagen-vascular diseases, hypersensitivity reactions, and even cigarette smoking, neutrophilia can occur.

|