Q. Can high potassium level cause nauseous and numbness feeling?

Dr. Lohit Chauhan

My potassium is 5.5. Is that high because I am nauseated a lot, hands and feet get tingly or go numb a lot. I am tired a lot and my heartbeat feels irregular a lot plus I have had diarrhea or very thin stool for past few months. Cancer too runs in my family.

#

Yes, serum potassium of 5.5 mEq is a bit high. The usual range of serum potassium is 3.5 to 5 mEq/L. Although 5.5 mEq/L is not that high to produce symptoms, but as your query suggested you are feeling the irregular heartbeat, I would suggest you get an ECG (EKG) done at the earliest. You might need medications to control the hyperkalemia (increased potassium). Regarding the history of cancers in your family, I cannot comment upon the hyperkalemia developing due to it or not.

|