Q. Is there any medication to lower the triglyceride level?

Answered by
Dr. Sagar Ramesh Makode
and medically reviewed by Dr.Nithila A
This is a premium question & answer published on Sep 18, 2019 and last reviewed on: Sep 20, 2019

Hello doctor,

I am a 40-years-old male, 171 cm height, 78 kg weight, went to annual body checkup, no symptoms, in the ECHO report it says mild PAH 45 mm hg, RVSP, TMT report is negative, and other heart reports are also normal. All other report blood report, X-ray, PFT, kidney, liver, ultrasound, reports are normal. Though I suffer from high triglycerides (200 to 300) since last five years, and before I took the echo test, I did TMT (treadmill test) 30 to 45 minute before, can it be as cause for mild PAH? How can I lower triglycerides, is there any medication which I can take for some time.



Welcome to

I guess you do not have any respiratory symptoms like cough, shortness of breath, etc. Mild PAH (pulmonary arterial hypertension) is unlikely to be related to exercise during TMT, as 30 to 45 minutes is enough time for the body to recover. However, since echo is an observer-dependent investigation, I would advise getting it repeated from DM cardiologist, if not done by one.

I guess you do not smoke, which may cause similar changes. If repeat echo confirms PAH, then you ll need evaluation for the same. The assessment included a VQ scan (ventilation-perfusion scan), HRCT (high-resolution computed tomography) chest for the cause of PAH. Regarding triglycerides, besides a healthy lifestyle like avoiding oily, fatty, high-calorie diet, and regular exercises, you should have tablet Fenofibrate 145 mg once a day bedtime for six to eight weeks. I hope this helps you and get back if you have any doubts.

Thank you doctor,

Yes, I do smoke once a month or so, in your opinion, does it look like I have PAH? And how serious it is and is there treatment available? ECHO was done in a mere two to three minute, and I was not very satisfied with the results. I do not have any respiratory symptoms. Please advice.



Welcome back to

It is mild only. Try to avoid smoking as much as possible. Yes, there is treatment available, and treatment depends on the cause of PAH. There are multiple causes for PAH, including cardiac and respiratory. But, before that, I would advise going for repeat good quality ECHO and if it is confirmed, then you will need treatment accordingly.

Was this answer helpful?


Same symptoms doesn’t mean you have the same problem. Consult a doctor now!

Related Questions:
Will elevated creatinine and lipase levels indicate risk of multiorgan failure in diabetics?

.. do not think elevated creatinine is due to medications. It is most likely due to diabetes itself. But elevated lipase is due to high triglycerides (apart from high triglycerides, alcohol intake can also cause elevated lipase). For the protection...   Read full

What can be done for Eisenmenger syndrome and severe pulmonary hypertension?

Hello doctor,I have Eisenmenger syndrome and severe pulmonary hypertension ... Development of the syndrome represents a point at which pulmonary hypertension is irreversible and is an indication ...   Read full

What is the treatment for high cholesterol, high triglycerides and high blood pressure?

.. seen your reports showing increased liver enzyme with dyslipidemia with macrocystic RBCs (attachment removed to protect patient identity), it indicates early liver diseases. Kindly follow the following instructions: Stop alcohol if you are taking...   Read full


Also Read Answers From:

ideaComprehensive Medical Second Opinion.Submit your Case

Also Read

Management of Coronasomnia
Coronasomnia refers to increased sleep problems among people during the COVID-19 pandemic. Read the below article to get...  Read more»
Balantidiasis - Causes, Signs and Symptoms, Diagnosis, Treatment, and Prevention
Balantidiasis is a rare bacterial infection caused by a parasite called Balantidium coli. Read the article below to know...  Read more»
JAK Inhibitors in Treating Rheumatoid Arthritis
Doctors mainly suggest JAK or Janus kinase inhibitors for patients with rheumatoid arthritis to ease their symptoms. Rea...  Read more»

Ask your health query to a doctor online?

Ask a Cardiologist Now

* guaranteed answer within 4 hours.

Disclaimer: No content published on this website is intended to be a substitute for professional medical diagnosis, advice or treatment by a trained physician. Seek advice from your physician or other qualified healthcare providers with questions you may have regarding your symptoms and medical condition for a complete medical diagnosis. Do not delay or disregard seeking professional medical advice because of something you have read on this website. Read our Editorial Process to know how we create content for health articles and queries.