Q. Is there any medication to lower the triglyceride level?

and medically reviewed by Dr. Nithila A

I am a 40-years-old male, 171 cm height, 78 kg weight, went to annual body checkup, no symptoms, in the ECHO report it says mild PAH 45 mm hg, RVSP, TMT report is negative, and other heart reports are also normal. All other report blood report, X-ray, PFT, kidney, liver, ultrasound, reports are normal. Though I suffer from high triglycerides (200 to 300) since last five years, and before I took the echo test, I did TMT (treadmill test) 30 to 45 minute before, can it be as cause for mild PAH? How can I lower triglycerides, is there any medication which I can take for some time.

Cardiology General Medicine Internal Medicine

I guess you do not have any respiratory symptoms like cough, shortness of breath, etc. Mild PAH (pulmonary arterial hypertension) is unlikely to be related to exercise during TMT, as 30 to 45 minutes is enough time for the body to recover. However, since echo is an observer-dependent investigation, I would advise getting it repeated from DM cardiologist, if not done by one.

I guess you do not smoke, which may cause similar changes. If repeat echo confirms PAH, then you ll need evaluation for the same. The assessment included a VQ scan (ventilation-perfusion scan), HRCT (high-resolution computed tomography) chest for the cause of PAH. Regarding triglycerides, besides a healthy lifestyle like avoiding oily, fatty, high-calorie diet, and regular exercises, you should have tablet Fenofibrate 145 mg once a day bedtime for six to eight weeks. I hope this helps you and get back if you have any doubts.

Yes, I do smoke once a month or so, in your opinion, does it look like I have PAH? And how serious it is and is there treatment available? ECHO was done in a mere two to three minute, and I was not very satisfied with the results. I do not have any respiratory symptoms. Please advice.

It is mild only. Try to avoid smoking as much as possible. Yes, there is treatment available, and treatment depends on the cause of PAH. There are multiple causes for PAH, including cardiac and respiratory. But, before that, I would advise going for repeat good quality ECHO and if it is confirmed, then you will need treatment accordingly.

Father is suffering from pulmonary hypertension and varicose veins. Is anticoagulant a must?

Query: Hello doctor, My father is a 71-year-old male suffering from pulmonary hypertension and diabetic and varicose vein problem on both legs. I have attached the previous reports summary. Following medications are taken daily. 1. Tadalafil 1---0--0 2. Dytor 10 mg 1--0---0 3. Dytor plus 20 mg 0---1--0...  Read Full >>

Answer: Hello, Welcome to the icliniq.com. Sorry for your father suffering from atrial fibrillation and pulmonary hypertension. I have read your concern and below is the answer to your question. The leg swelling could be due to irregular use of a diuretic pill that is Dytor. So I suggest not to stop this...  Read Full

I have high cholesterol, high triglycerides and high blood pressure. Please help.

Query: Hello doctor, I have high cholesterol, high triglycerides and also high blood pressure. Please help.  Read Full >>

Dr. Vedprakash Verma
General Medicine Physician, Internal Medicine Physician, General Practitioner, Family Physician

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I have seen your reports showing increased liver enzyme with dyslipidemia with macrocystic RBCs (attachment removed to protect patient identity), it indicates early liver diseases. Kindly follow the following instructions: Stop alcohol if you are taking. Tablet Udiliv ...  Read Full

Please give me a detailed analysis of the test reports.

Query: Hello doctor, I am 37 years old. My weight is 72 kg and height is 5'5". About a month back, my BP was 120/80 mmHg. I do not have any major complaints except for occasional gas or acidity or indigestion. Sometimes there is a sharp pain in the lower portion of legs, especially in the ankle and heels. ...  Read Full >>

Dr. Prathap

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. First I would like to appreciate your awareness on the health. Coming to your reports, (attachment removed to protect patient identity), your lipid profile seems to be abnormal which is of concern. High triglycerides, cholesterol and LDL (low-density lipoprotein) choleste...  Read Full

Ask a Doctor Now