Q. Is there any medication to lower the triglyceride level?

This is a premium question & answer published on Sep 18, 2019 and last reviewed on: Sep 20, 2019

I am a 40-years-old male, 171 cm height, 78 kg weight, went to annual body checkup, no symptoms, in the ECHO report it says mild PAH 45 mm hg, RVSP, TMT report is negative, and other heart reports are also normal. All other report blood report, X-ray, PFT, kidney, liver, ultrasound, reports are normal. Though I suffer from high triglycerides (200 to 300) since last five years, and before I took the echo test, I did TMT (treadmill test) 30 to 45 minute before, can it be as cause for mild PAH? How can I lower triglycerides, is there any medication which I can take for some time.

#

I guess you do not have any respiratory symptoms like cough, shortness of breath, etc. Mild PAH (pulmonary arterial hypertension) is unlikely to be related to exercise during TMT, as 30 to 45 minutes is enough time for the body to recover. However, since echo is an observer-dependent investigation, I would advise getting it repeated from DM cardiologist, if not done by one.

I guess you do not smoke, which may cause similar changes. If repeat echo confirms PAH, then you ll need evaluation for the same. The assessment included a VQ scan (ventilation-perfusion scan), HRCT (high-resolution computed tomography) chest for the cause of PAH. Regarding triglycerides, besides a healthy lifestyle like avoiding oily, fatty, high-calorie diet, and regular exercises, you should have tablet Fenofibrate 145 mg once a day bedtime for six to eight weeks. I hope this helps you and get back if you have any doubts.

Yes, I do smoke once a month or so, in your opinion, does it look like I have PAH? And how serious it is and is there treatment available? ECHO was done in a mere two to three minute, and I was not very satisfied with the results. I do not have any respiratory symptoms. Please advice.

#

It is mild only. Try to avoid smoking as much as possible. Yes, there is treatment available, and treatment depends on the cause of PAH. There are multiple causes for PAH, including cardiac and respiratory. But, before that, I would advise going for repeat good quality ECHO and if it is confirmed, then you will need treatment accordingly.

|