Q. Does an elevated WBC always indicate leukemia?

Dr. Saravan Pramod Settipalli
This is a premium question & answer published on Aug 15, 2017 and last reviewed on: Aug 26, 2019

I got blood work done and WBC was 14.8 and absolute neutrophils were 10.9. I was suffering from sun poisoning and a sinus infection. I also suffer from severe anxiety and panic disorder. I just want to know if this is an indication of leukemia.

#

I read your query and understand your concern.

• An elevated WBC (white blood cell) count does not necessarily indicate leukemia. Even a mild infection can lead to the elevation of WBC count.
  • Leukemia is a cancer of the blood cells. The most common symptoms are pale skin, fever, enlarged spleen or liver, fever, chills, night sweats, fatigue and other flu-like symptoms. So, you do not need to suspect leukemia only with an elevated WBC count.
  • I would like to know if you had any other history of a morbid illness.

For more information consult an internal medicine physician online --> https://icliniq.com./ask-a-doctor-online/internal-medicine-physician

No, I do not have any other illness, just severe anxiety, depression and panic disorders. So, you do not think I need to see someone about those numbers? Do you think I am alright?

#

• There is no need to panic looking at these numbers. It is quite normal in many having infections.
  • Please attach other reports and mention if you had a history of fever, cough, sore throat, or any other recent illness.
  • Most importantly, let me know what made you get the count done. Was it part of a routine investigation or was there any specific cause?

|