Q. Does an elevated WBC always indicate leukemia?

Dr. Saravan Pramod Settipalli
Published on Aug 15, 2017 and last reviewed on: Aug 26, 2019

I got blood work done and WBC was 14.8 and absolute neutrophils were 10.9. I was suffering from sun poisoning and a sinus infection. I also suffer from severe anxiety and panic disorder. I just want to know if this is an indication of leukemia.

Dr. Saravan Pramod Settipalli

#

I read your query and understand your concern.

• An elevated WBC (white blood cell) count does not necessarily indicate leukemia. Even a mild infection can lead to the elevation of WBC count.
  • Leukemia is a cancer of the blood cells. The most common symptoms are pale skin, fever, enlarged spleen or liver, fever, chills, night sweats, fatigue and other flu-like symptoms. So, you do not need to suspect leukemia only with an elevated WBC count.
  • I would like to know if you had any other history of a morbid illness.

For more information consult an internal medicine physician online --> https://icliniq.com./ask-a-doctor-online/internal-medicine-physician

No, I do not have any other illness, just severe anxiety, depression and panic disorders. So, you do not think I need to see someone about those numbers? Do you think I am alright?

Dr. Saravan Pramod Settipalli

#

• There is no need to panic looking at these numbers. It is quite normal in many having infections.
  • Please attach other reports and mention if you had a history of fever, cough, sore throat, or any other recent illness.
  • Most importantly, let me know what made you get the count done. Was it part of a routine investigation or was there any specific cause?

How to know if someone is depressed?

Query: Hi doctor, How do you decide if someone has depression or any other mental disease? How to differentiate it from mental retardation? Can it be the reason that he or she does not find anything interesting or exciting enough?  Read Full >>

Dr. Bharat Udey
Geriatrician

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Depression is basically an affective disorder affecting the emotional tone of an individual. Along with this, it also causes impairment of cognition and other higher mental functions. It is important to identify depression as early as possible so that effective measu...  Read Full

Please suggest a solution for sunburn.

Query: Hi doctor,Someone suggested me to apply baking soda over the sunburn. So, I have applied baking soda on the face. The skin around my eyes is getting dark, wrinkles and has some pain also. Please suggest me some cream to get rid of this fast. Also, suggest me some medicine to get rid of sunburn.  Read Full >>

Dr. Asmeet Kaur Sawhney

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I can understand your concern and I have reviewed your photographs (attachment removed to protect patient identity). You have developed irritant contact dermatitis to baking soda. You should wash your face with plain water only and avoid using soap till the reaction gets...  Read Full