Q. What is the reason for high monocyte and eosinophil?

Image: What is the reason for high monocyte and eosinophil?

My blood reports show high monocytes and eosinophils for over two years of span. I feel there is no energy, muscle spasms, splenomegaly, muscle pain, and malaise. I am seropositive RA. But, my CRP and ESR are normal most of the time.

Dr.Parth R Goswami
M.B.B.S., M.D
Hematology, Pathology

• Rheumatoid arthritis is one of the causes for high monocyte count and multisystemic involvement.
  • Hence, treatment for that is nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs and disease modifying drugs like Leflunomide, etc.
  • The high eosinophil count causes include allergy, parasitic infection, skin conditions and pulmonary eosinophilia, etc. According to the cause, the specific treatment can be given.
  • For allergy, antiallergic medication like Fexofenadine is useful.
  • You have not mentioned total count value, peripheral smear examination and value of differential count. So peripheral smear examination and clinical correlation needed in such case.
  • Please consult your physician for examination and get further work up according to the need. Take care.

For further information consult a hematologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/hematologist

* expert medical advice guaranteed.

Ask a Hematologist »
* expert medical advice guaranteed.