Q. What is the reason for high monocyte and eosinophil?

Image: What is the reason for high monocyte and eosinophil?

My blood reports show high monocytes and eosinophils for over two years of span. I feel there is no energy, muscle spasms, splenomegaly, muscle pain, and malaise. I am seropositive RA. But, my CRP and ESR are normal most of the time.

Dr.Parth R Goswami
M.B.B.S., M.D
Hematology, Pathology

Rheumatoid arthritis is one of the causes for high monocyte count and multisystemic involvement.

Hence, treatment for that is nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs and disease modifying drugs like Leflunomide, etc.

The high eosinophil count causes include allergy, parasitic infection, skin conditions and pulmonary eosinophilia, etc. According to the cause, the specific treatment can be given.

For allergy, antiallergic medication like Fexofenadine is useful.

• You have not mentioned total count value, peripheral smear examination and value of differential count. So peripheral smear examination and clinical correlation needed in such case.
  • Please consult your physician for examination and get further work up according to the need. Take care.

For further information consult a hematologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/hematologist

* expert medical advice guaranteed.

Also Read Answers From

Ask a Hematologist »
* expert medical advice guaranteed.