Rheumatoid Arthritis

Rheumatoid arthritis is an autoimmune disorder that results in chronic inflammation and can affect the joints, skin, eyes, heart, and blood vessels. The symptoms include tender and warm joints, joint stiffness, fatigue, fever, and loss of appetite. Rheumatoid arthritis increases the risk of osteoporosis, infections, heart and lung problems, and lymphoma.

Recently Answered Questions Recently Answered Questions

All the answers published in this website are written by Verified medical doctors, therapists and health experts. The Content has been moderated by iCliniq medical review team before publication. Post your medical clarifications on iCliniq by choosing the right specialty and get them answered. Your medical queries will be answered 24/7 by top doctors from iCliniq.

Can you please suggest medicines and exercises for joint pain?

Query: Hi doctor, My mother underwent a hysterectomy surgery before few months. Now she is having tremendous pain in her joints. She is unable to walk without proper support. She has more pain in her knee, ankle, and finger joints. What can I do? Please suggest medicine and exercise for having relief from...  Read Full »

Dr. Peter Grutas

Internal Medicine Physician, General Medicine Physician

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. There are many causes for having joint pain. The causes are osteoarthritis and rheumatoid arthritis. I suggest you take X-rays of her both knees and hands. She needs to do ESR (erythrocyte sedimentation rate), CRP (C-reactive protein), anti-CCP (anti-citrullinated pepti...  Read Full »

Do X-rays help in differentiating rheumatoid arthritis from osteoarthritis?

Query: Hi doctor, I have been having joint pain in my left foot on the first joint of big toe for two weeks. It came on upon waking. The pain was inconvenient, but bearable for the first 36 hours. Then, it was extremely painful on the second day ( a worse pain I have ever had). Then, it has got slightly be...  Read Full »

Dr. Divya Agarwal


Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. There is a strong possibility that this is gout. Considering that it occurred relatively acute, it is possible that it is gout. The diagnosis of gout is by crystal examination in joint fluid and on clinical examination of joints. Of course, osteoarthritis is one of the le...  Read Full »

Can my grandmother discontinue one of her gout medicines?

Query: Hi doctor, My 83-year-old mother is taking two different medications for gout. She has consistent hand and shoulder pain with weakness. She is unable to catch her walker grip and even she is unable to catch her water bottle. One of the pharmacists told me that one of the medications taken by her ...  Read Full »

Dr. Rajiv Ranjan Kumar

Rheumatologist, General Medicine Physician, Internal Medicine Physician

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Her symptoms are not related to gout or it can be due to chronic tophaceous gout. She can also have CTS (carpal tunnel syndrome) or a flare of RA (rheumatoid arthritis). If the symptoms are more in the early morning and then it decreases gradually, then it can be du...  Read Full »

What can cause pain in and around the ankles after waking up in the morning?

Query: Hi doctor, My wife has pain in and around the ankle on both feet after waking up in the morning. She gets some relief after having a walk for few steps within half an hour. She has a small lump-like swelling on the anterior side of the ankle. It got started before a year back with mild symptoms. Bu...  Read Full »

Dr. Nupoor Acharya


Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Your wife has symptoms of inflammatory arthritis. Ankle arthritis is seen in different conditions like rheumatoid arthritis, spondyloarthropathy, sarcoidosis, and poncet's disease. Please mention whether she has other symptoms such as pain in small joints of hands, back...  Read Full »

Can I have a side effect due to Methotrexate taken for arthritis?

Query: Hi I was prescribed methotrexate 15mg a week I am on my ninth week. Is this a safe medication? I regularly done blood tests? I used to get a lot of joint pain especially in shoulder elbow and finger. I also got skin issues so my doctor said it will be psoriatic arthritis? My dermatologist has giv...  Read Full »

Dr. Reinhard Spyra


Answer: Hello Welcome to icliniq. I'm happy to answer your query with a background of 40 years in Rheumatology. Please be aware that this is for information and doesn't replace the privileged patient-doctor relationship. Methotrexate, the drug is used worldwide, very well known since half a century for ar...  Read Full »

Do you know whether steroids help to treat rheumatoid arthritis?

Query: Hi . My mom is taking Prednisolone oral tabs daily in the morning. she is taking it for past 5 years. recently she got red spots in her body . docs stopped this medicine for weeks . she got very ill. at tat time she was in tb medication. tb is not detected. still prescribed. after getting worse do...  Read Full »

Dr. Penchala Prasad Kandikattu

General Medicine Physician, Internal Medicine Physician

Answer: Hello Dear sorry about your mother's health condition. For rheumatoid arthritis now very good DMARDS available. No need of taking steroid for a long time. Probably she is suffering from vasculitis or other autoimmune disorder which will give temporary relief with steroids and flare up of symptom...  Read Full »

Can rheumatoid arthritis cause joint pain, anemia, swollen lymph node, and fever?

Query: Good day doctor I am a 22 year old female. 5.3' and 97lbs And I started experiencing pain in my joints an year ago.The pain continued and increased in intensity. Before eight monts I was told that my blood was a bit low. I fractured my arm very easily before seven months. After that the pain was a...  Read Full »

Dr. Nischith

Orthopaedician And Traumatologist

Answer: Hello , I understand that you have been diagnosed with rheumatic arthritis through your Blood and clinical parameters. You have been treated for Anaemia and Arm fracture. Your blood reports say , you Are having high inflammatory markers. To diagnose Rhematic arthritis , we need to have several ...  Read Full »

What does it mean if you have an elevated ESR?

Query: Hi doctor, My wife is 32 years old, and she recently got a blood test done and her ESR is 120. She frequently falls sick and suffers from leg pains, body pains, and sore throat. We consulted the doctor, and he said some infection is hidden but not coming out. I am much worried about her health. Can...  Read Full »

Dr. Rohit Jain

Cardiologist, Criticalcare Physician, Diabetologist, Endocrinologist, Family Physician, General Medicine Physician, Internal Medicine Physician, Pulmonologist, Sexologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Only ESR (erythrocyte sedimentation rate) does not tell us anything specific. We need more details to find out where the infection is. In arthritic diseases, an elevated ESR is most closely associated with polymyalgia rheumatica (PMR) and giant cell arteritis (GCA). Rhe...  Read Full »

Please suggest a solution to my increasing hip pain and swollen ankle.

Query: Hello doctor, I am a 44-year-old male. I have left hip pain for two and half months. Left hip pain started gradually two and a half months back, while doing repetitive hip hyper flexing exercises, jogging, and stretching exercises. Initially, the pain is present on the back of the hip, while doing ...  Read Full »

Dr. Divya Agarwal


Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. There seems to be arthritis going on. The MRI report shows (attachment removed to protect patient identity) an effusion of the hip joint, and as you explain, the ankle also swelled up once. The blood reports seem normal, except for mildly elevated WBC (white blood c...  Read Full »

I married my first cousin. Will my child be affected genetically?

Query: Hi doctor, I have married my first cousin, daughter of my maternal uncle. I would like to know, will there be any genetic issue¬†with our future kid. What are the things we need to take care off? Do we need to take any test? Could you please give some guidance on this. Thank you.  Read Full »

Dr. Megha Tuli Gupta

Obstetrician And Gynaecologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I understand your situation. Genetic disorders are more likely in such marriages. I am not trying to scare you but if there is any familial disease in your family it would be good to get it checked in early pregnancy. Any autoimmune disease like rheumatoid arthritis, any ...  Read Full »

ask-doctor-img Ask a Doctor Online

* guaranteed answer within 4 hours
Chat with a Doctor

Chat with a Doctor

Starting @ just $29.99

Search for a Health Issue


Disclaimer: All health Q&As published on this website are not intended to be a substitute for professional medical diagnosis, advice or treatment by a trained physician. Seek the advice from your physician or other qualified health-care providers with questions you may have regarding your symptoms and medical condition for a complete medical diagnosis. Do not delay or disregard seeking professional medical advice because of something you have read on this website.