Q. What drugs can help in healing avascular necrosis?

Answered by
Dr. Lokesh
and medically reviewed by iCliniq medical review team.
This is a premium question & answer published on Jan 19, 2018 and last reviewed on: Oct 09, 2018

Hello doctor,

I am a 24-year-old male and I have pain in hip joints for more than three months. Reports indicate avascular necrosis stage 2. Pain is mostly in the right hip joint. Pain will appear only when I put extra stress on muscles. The doctor has recommended me core decompression and he cannot guarantee whether it will heal or not. I am really scared of this. What if I somehow avoid the surgery? Is there any chance of natural healing? I have attached photos for your reference.

Dr. Lokesh

Orthopedics And Traumatology Spine Health Spine Surgery


Welcome to icliniq.com.

I have gone through the attachments (attachment removed to protect patient identity)

You have avascular necrosis of the femoral head.

Most of the surgeons will ask you to get operated for a core decompression or total hip replacement for this but studies have shown that medicines have high possibility to avoid surgeries.

You still are stage 2 with edema so there are good chances you will get better with medicines. I suggest you the following:

  • Take tablet Osteofos (Alendronic Acid) 35 mg twice a week for one year. This has to be taken empty stomach early morning with two glasses of water and do not lie down or eat for 30 minutes after taking the tablets.
  • Tablet Bio-D3 Strong (combination of Calcitriol, Calcium carbonate, manganese, Zinc, L-methylfolate, Methylcobalamin, and Vitamin K2-7) once a day for one year.
  • Tablet Uprise-D3 60K (Cholecalciferol) 60,000 International Units) once daily for 10 days then once a month for one year.
  • Tablet Flexon (Ibuprofen and Paracetamol) twice a day times 15 days after food then as needed with pain.
  • Tablet Rabeprazole 20 mg once a day times 15 days after food.
  • Injection Zoledronic Acid 5 mg intravenous over 45 minutes once a year times three years.
  • Also, take two tablets of Crocin (Paracetamol) 500 mg five minutes before taking the injection and as needed after the injection (as you might get a mild fever with this injection).

Consult your specialist doctor, discuss with him or her and with their consent take the above medicines.

You should use a walking stick.

You can walk but do not exercise or do physiotherapy. Follow up with X-rays and MRI (magnetic resonance imaging) images. This is only a second opinion platform.

This professional advice provided by me stands subject to the actual examination of report/image and is based entirely on inputs provided to me. It should be correlated with clinical findings.

For more information consult an orthopaedician and traumatologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/orthopaedician-and-traumatologist

Was this answer helpful?



This is a sponsored Ad. icliniq or icliniq doctors do not endorse the content in the Ad.

Ask a QueryAsk a Query Consult by PhoneConsult by Phone Video ChatVideo Chat
Also Read Answers From:

Comprehensive Medical Second Opinion.Submit your Case

Related Questions & Answers

Shall I continue the treatment advised by my doctor for hip joint pain?

Query: Hi doctor, I am a 63 year old male. I had polio affected right leg, but have been leading a normal life since then. Recently, I developed pain in the right thigh joint, but able to walk normally. In some positions, it is painful. I have got my MRI study of the hip joint. The report is enclosed here...  Read Full »

I have pain in middle of upper abdomen. What to do to help the pain?

Query: Hello doctor, I am having gradual pain in the middle of my upper abdomen right below the breasts and pain on the side of my abdomen that radiates to my back. This is accompanied by my stomach feeling tight. Sometimes worse after food sometimes worse on empty stomach. Sometimes wakes me up at night....  Read Full »

Can you reverse avascular necrosis?

Query: Hi doctor, I have pain in thighs, hip joints and legs for more than a year. Reports indicate avascular necrosis stage 3. Doctor has recommended me hip replacement. I am really scared of this. Because I did a lot of research on internet about this. I got to know a lot of restriction and risk of dislo...  Read Full »



Ask your health query to a doctor online?

Ask an Orthopaedician & Traumatologist Now

* guaranteed answer within 4 hours.
Enter Your Health Query
You can upload files and images in the next step.



Disclaimer: All health Q&As published on this website is not intended to be a substitute for professional medical diagnosis, advice or treatment by a trained physician. Seek the advice from your physician or other qualified health-care providers with questions you may have regarding your symptoms and medical condition for a complete medical diagnosis. Do not delay or disregard seeking professional medical advice because of something you have read on this website.