Get E-Book on COVID-19

Q. My father is having continuous hip pain. How to evaluate this?

Answered by
Dr. Sagar Ramesh Makode
and medically reviewed by iCliniq medical review team.
This is a premium question & answer published on Oct 09, 2017

Hi doctor,

My father is having a continuous pain in his hip for the past four months. The pain can only be ease by consuming painkillers. The pain has prevented him from walking by himself. Most of the time, he cannot sleep throughout the night because of the pain. He is a diabetic and on regular Insulin. He went to the hospital several times and had a hip x-ray. But, there is nothing wrong with his bones according to the doctors. We do not know what to do to help him killing the pain. Please help.

Dr. Sagar Ramesh Makode

Cardiology General Medicine Internal Medicine


Welcome to

  • There are two possibilities, joint pain or nerve pain like sciatica.
  • There can be multiple problems in the joint like age-related degeneration or arthritis, so we need to evaluate.
  • What kind of pain is it? Is it a burning or pins and needles kind of pain? Does it travel from hip to lower limb?
  • Is there any associated back pain? If yes, then it could be a nerve pain called as sciatica and treatment would be different. He can get prescribed from the local doctor a nerve vitamin Neurobion forte once a day and nerve stabilizer like tablet Pregabalin 75 mg bedtime.
  • The next step is MRI scan of hip, SI joint (sacroiliac) and LS spine (lumbosacral). It will explain the picture regarding diagnosis, and we can go ahead with treatment.
  • Also, he will need some blood test like ANA antibody test (antinuclear antibody), ESR (erythrocyte sedimentation rate), CRP (C-reactive protein), rheumatoid factor, calcium and vitamin D level.
  • At this moment, he should have calcium and vitamin D supplements like tablet Shelcal HD twice a day after giving a sample for a blood test and Diclofenac gel or spray for local application and pain whenever needed.
  • In pain, the safer one is tablet Ultracet 50 mg (Paracetamol and Tramadol) whenever needed along with antacid like tablet Pantoprazole 40 mg once a day before breakfast. Please discuss my opinion with your treating doctor and take treatment with consent.

For further information consult an internal medicine physician online -->

Was this answer helpful?


Related Questions:
I have pain in my heels which did not get better with any painkiller. What to do?
Will surgery help my sciatica?
Please suggest some painkiller for my back pain.

This is a sponsored Ad. icliniq or icliniq doctors do not endorse the content in the Ad.

Consult by PhoneConsult by Phone Video ChatVideo Chat
Also Read Answers From:

Comprehensive Medical Second Opinion.Submit your Case

Related Questions & Answers

Is my mother's leg pain sciatica or something else?

Query: Hello doctor, My 49 year old mother has a severe (sciatica-like) leg pain. There is also pain below the knee and at the back of the leg. The pain is an extreme burning sensation kind of pain. It sometimes moves to the hips. The pain increases when she sits or tries to walk. She is taking a pain ki...  Read Full »

Can you reverse avascular necrosis?

Query: Hi doctor, I have pain in thighs, hip joints and legs for more than a year. Reports indicate avascular necrosis stage 3. Doctor has recommended me hip replacement. I am really scared of this. Because I did a lot of research on internet about this. I got to know a lot of restriction and risk of dislo...  Read Full »

Also Read

COVID-19 Testing
COVID-19 testing includes analyzing patient samples to determine current or past infections with SARS-CoV-2. Read the ar...  Read more»
I feel a restlessness in my legs, which decreases my sleep quality. How to get a refreshing sleep?
Hello doctor, I cannot get refreshing sleep some days in a week, and some days it is good. I also have difficulty sleep...  Read more»
I have redness in my eyes. How to stop it from getting redder?
Hello doctor,I am a 16-year-old boy. I have a problem with my eyes, and I had this problem for a very long time. I do no...  Read more»

Ask your health query to a doctor online?

Ask an Internal Medicine Physician Now

* guaranteed answer within 4 hours.

Disclaimer: All health Q&As published on this website is not intended to be a substitute for professional medical diagnosis, advice or treatment by a trained physician. Seek the advice from your physician or other qualified health-care providers with questions you may have regarding your symptoms and medical condition for a complete medical diagnosis. Do not delay or disregard seeking professional medical advice because of something you have read on this website.