Hip Replacement Arthroplasty

Will my previous core decompression surgery cause AVN?

Query: Hello doctor, I was diagnosed with minimal change disease before a few months and started on Prednisone. I was into remission within a week but the disease relapsed while on the full dose. Cyclosporine was added and steroids were tapered to 0 within six months. Recently, last month I had an injury ...  Read Full »

Dr. Shakti A. Goel

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. AVN (avascular necrosis) of the hip is usually due to a number of causes. Prolonged steroid intake is one of them. The treatment of AVN hips ranges from rest, core decompression and eventually hip replacement. Since you have had stage 1 and 2 in your respective hips,...  Read Full »

How is an intertrochanteric fracture treated?

Query: Hello doctor, My father is 93 years old with several comorbidities. He fell suddenly and this happens to be his first fracture. High blood pressure and diabetes both are under control with medication. He also has two stents and a bioprosthetic valve. He suffered a fractured hip. It appears to be int...  Read Full »

Dr. Sumit Chawla

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. The images attached have very poor quality (attachment removed to protect patient identity). Your father has three part intertrochanteric fracture and does not require a hip arthroplasty. Hip salvage surgery is indicated. My choice for implant is proximal femoral interloc...  Read Full »

Is it necessary to get hip replacement to correct leg discrepancy?

Query: Hello doctor, Got surgery done for "fracture neck of femur" five years back. Now living life with 1 inch leg length discrepancy. Highly demotivated. Hip replacement is suggested by surgeons but not now ,as I am 30 years old. As per them a revision surgery is recquired after 15 years or so. My que...  Read Full »

Dr. Lokesh

General Practitioner, Orthopaedician And Traumatologist, Spine Health Specialist, Spine Surgeon, Family Physician

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I can understand that limb lengthening can be of concern but you can ealisy wear a heel raise on the normal side of just 1.5 cms (not totally correcte to 1.5 inches, it should always be undercorrected by 1 cm), limping depends upon you abductor hip muscle strength- so y...  Read Full »

I need a hip replacement and I am scared of having anesthesia. What can make me sleep during operation?

Query: Hello doctor,I am 60 years old and need a hip replacement. I am healthy, no diabetes, no heart problems. My sister had a horrible anesthesia awareness incident a few years ago, and now I am terrified to have my surgery because of any risk of being paralyzed but awake. What can I do to make sure I am...  Read Full »

Dr. Kiran Kumar Kolla Gopalkrishna

Anesthesiologist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I suggest you opt for regional anesthesia by a spinal and epidural anesthetic. They will give an injection between your spine, and this will make your legs numb and any sensation below the navel you will not be feeling. After the surgery numbness will go and all the ...  Read Full »

I have AVN. Is it possible to treat without hip replacement?

Query: Hello doctor, I am a 31-year-old. I have AVN stage 3 in right hip and stage 2 in the left hip. This is due to the use of steroids. I have done this MRI before two months. Many doctors told me to go for total hip replacement. Today I had an X-ray, and the doctor told me no collapse is done yet and s...  Read Full »

Dr. Anuj Gupta

Orthopaedician And Traumatologist, Spine Surgeon

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. The decision to treat conservatively or surgically depends on clinical symptoms. You have not mentioned anything about your symptoms. How much pain do you have? Is it bearable or unbearable? How much distance are you able to walk without pain? Are you ready to perfor...  Read Full »

How to recover from a hip fracture?

Query: Hi doctor, My mother is 83 years old. She had a right hip fracture before three years, and she was fitted with a DHS implant. She has pain, and her fracture is not healed. Her mobility got restricted, and she uses a walker to walk. Before two years, she had severe pain, and she was unable to stand....  Read Full »

Dr. Firas Arnaout

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I have gone through the attachment (attachment removed to protect patient identity). Her fracture has not healed, and her fixation has got failed. I suggest seeing an experienced anesthetist to assess her fitness for having an extended operation. As her hip is painful, ...  Read Full »

Other than surgery, is there a treatment for my mother's femoral neck fracture?

Query: Hi doctor, My mother is suffering from a left femoral neck fracture. Is there any other treatment other than surgery? Please suggest.  Read Full »

Dr. Anuj Gupta

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I have gone through the attachment (attachment removed to protect patient identity). The age of the patient is 72 years. At this age and with this fracture, there is more harm in not doing surgery as compared to doing surgery. Such patients can develop respiratory diffi...  Read Full »

Can total hip replacement surgery be delayed in my case?

Query: Hello doctor,I am a 38 year old male having pain in the hip and severe leg pain from calves to ankle, tingling, pins and needles in both feet, and stiffness in thighs. Please find all the reports attached. Also, suggest a medicine for RA.  Read Full »

Dr. Sumit Chawla

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I have gone through your history and the files attached here (attachment removed to protect patient identity). X-ray images are of poor quality and cannot be visualized. However, the hip joint can be observed which is the site of pathology in your case. As per the X-...  Read Full »

What is the treatment for slipped capital femoral epiphysis?

Query: Hello doctor, Avascular necrosis was caused by a slipped capital femoral epiphysis of the left hip in a 12-year-old girl. What is the treatment apart from hip replacement? I need help. My daughter is in the middle of a bridge.  Read Full »

Dr. Lokesh

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. AVN (avascular necrosis) in pediatric patients requires injection Zoledronic acid (single dose per year for three years) in specific doses which is lower than adult doses depending upon the weight of the child. This treatment seems to work in my practice and avoids a h...  Read Full »

When can physiotherapy be started after bilateral hip replacement surgery?

Query: Hi doctor, I had bilateral hip replacement¬†surgery done recently. The right hip was replaced last month, and the left hip was replaced this month. Is it advisable to do physiotherapy now?  Read Full »

Dr. Shakti Mishra

Fitness Expert, Nutritionist, Physiotherapist, Yoga Specialist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. The day when a hip replacement is done, that day itself, other joint movements should be started as early as possible. First, non-weight-bearing physiotherapy should be done, followed by partial and full weight-bearing exercises. Non-weight bearing movements should be don...  Read Full »