Q. Why does my mother-in-law refuse to walk even with help?

Dr. Arun R Kaushik
This is a premium question & answer published on May 19, 2017 and last reviewed on: Sep 18, 2021

My mother-in-law is 93 years old and had her hip replacement done before five years. She could walk after that, but we have kept a lady to be with her for 24 hours a day and 365 days a year after the operation. She does not have diabetes or has any heart condition. She takes one tablet of Neurogen, Glutamine plus, Seven Seas capsule and 75 mg Ecosprin. Recently, she has started swinging her neck from side to side when seated crouching forward. Also, she is complaining of body pain and refuses to walk even with help. When walking held by the lady, she suddenly tries to sit down. I appreciate any advice to make her life comfortable.

#

I understand your concern.

• If I am not wrong, I understand that she has some neurological issue for which she is on medicines. Also, she is elderly. These can explain the swinging of the neck.
  • Lack of energy or strength in her legs might also be a cause for her to sit down.
  • Allow her to walk as and when she feels. Also, get her once more examined by the neurologist if the medicine dosage needs to be altered. This will help her.

For further information consult a geriatrician online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/geriatrician

|