Q. I have rashes over a year after exposure. Do I have HIV or can I get married?

Dr. Kakkar

Dear doctor,

I participated in unsafe sex with a girl and after one and a half years, I have been tested with CMIA test rapid antibody test and ELISA test and all results are negative for HIV 1 and 2. But, the tension in my mind was not cleared and every day I am suffering from this thought did I get infected with HIV. This is because I am getting skin allergy on my shoulders and chest. Shall I go for marriage or not? These questions are running through my mind every day. Are these tests enough to confirm that I am not having HIV? Shall I start my personal life? I will be very thankful to you.

#

I have noted your concern. I request you to kindly upload a few images of the allergy/rashes on your shoulders and chest so that I am able to have a look and guide you better. As far as your HIV screening is concerned your test results are conclusive. Regards.

For more information consult an HIV AIDS specialist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/HIV-AIDS-specialist

What do you mean by HIV reports are conclusive? Can you explain me elaborately? Can I start my personal life freely? I am uploading the pictures of my rashes. Can you please confirm that I am not having HIV?

#

Your HIV screening test results are conclusive means that they are reliable and final. A three-month intervening period between risk exposure and HIV screening test is considered sufficient for a screening test to be considered reliable. Prior to this window period, there is a small risk of the test being falsely negative as antibodies to HIV may not yet have formed.

Since you did your test after one and a half years of your risk exposure your tests are reliable and true. So, you need not worry about HIV. You are clean and can certainly get married.

The rashes seem to be a sunlight-induced eruption. I request you to kindly also upload more images of the rashes on your back.

Thank you for your answer. I will send the rashes pictures as early as possible.

#

Chronic urticaria is very rarely related to food. I suggest you take a few blood tests like that of thyroid function, CBC (complete blood count), stool for ova/cyst, ANA (antinuclear antibody), RF (rheumatoid factor), blood sugar, etc.

I suggest you may take a tablet of Desloratadine like Dazit tablet once a day for three weeks. Consult a specialist doctor, discuss with him or her and start taking the medicines with their consent.

Topically, I suggest you apply a soothing lotion such as Calamine lotion.

|