Q. My wife and I started having fever and chills at the same time. Could it be HIV?

Dr. Rashmi Singh
This is a premium question & answer published on Jul 13, 2017 and last reviewed on: Oct 09, 2018

For the last two days, I have a headache, fever, chills, sweating, and body ache. On contacting my doctor, he advised me to go for a dengue test in which NS1Ag came positive, and the doctor has advised for an ELISA test which is yet to be done. Now, I am worried as the HIV symptoms are same as that of dengue. Am I infected with HIV? Also, I traveled back to my country 10 days back to see my wife. She started having the same symptoms as me at exactly the same time.

I have been sexually active outside my marriage for the last couple of year. I had unprotected oral sex, as well as protected penetrative sex with sex workers a couple of times. The last time my wife and I had sex was nine months ago, after which she conceived and gave birth to our baby last month. Her last HIV test was done seven months ago, as part of the pregnancy check up. As I can see from the reports available it was negative. But, since she is having similar symptoms, I am extremely worried for the three of us. Please let me know if all is well.

#

I read your query and understood your concern.

• The antigen test that is done is not a diagnostic test but, used to complement the diagnosis. It is not very conclusive.
  • The symptoms you described are seen 14 to 15 days after exposure, and not this late.
  • In oral sex, unless one of the partners has ulcers in the genital region, there is less chance for the virus to get transmitted.
  • I would consider it coincidental that both you and your wife have the same symptoms at the same time.
  • It is alright to go ahead with the tests, but in my opinion, with your history and symptoms, I would not think of an HIV (human immunodeficiency virus) infection.

Hope it was helpful. Regards

For more information consult a cosmetologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/cosmetologist

This is a great relief. So, does that mean both of us are likely to have dengue and not HIV? Just to update you, two hours ago my wife was admitted to an emergency ward with high fever, and the doctors have initiated various tests. The report will come in a while. My fever is still on and off and remains in the range of 100 to 103. Are you sure HIV is not a concern now?

#

• If she is not sexually exposed since the last nine months, such an acute fever would not be due to HIV for sure.

|