Q. Is tri-dot test reliable for detecting HIV?

Published on Dec 11, 2017 and last reviewed on: Aug 28, 2019

I was suffering from extreme fatigue last month, so I got a Widal test, which was positive. I have had typhoid many times earlier, and two years back I got hepatitis. Last month I got LFT and CBC tests, and I am attaching the reports. LFT was normal, while CBC shows lymphopenia and macrocytosis, I showed these reports to another doctor, and he told me to get tested for HIV polymerase chain reaction test. I had sexual intercourse five months back, and I did the tri-dot test three times, but they came back negative. But, the doctor told me that tri-dot test is not reliable, so I should get a PCR test. Please help me, I am so tensed. I have a bacterial infection and itching on my back, which is not fading away.

Hematology Pathology
#

I had seen the reports that you have attached (attachment removed to protect patient identity).

• In your CBC (complete blood count) reports, neutrophils are very high and lymphocytes count is low, which is suggestive of some acute infection in the body. Here, as the lymphocytes are low, HIV should be ruled out first.
  • Tri-dot test detects both HIV (human immunodeficiency virus) p24 antigen and antibody and is equally effective as compared to HIV fourth generation ELISA (enzyme-linked immunosorbent assay) testing. Usually, these tests are positive within 2 to 6 weeks after getting infected. If you will get tested with NAT (nucleic acid test) or western blot test, then it can detect HIV much earlier. But, it is a costly test.
  • So, if you have any positive suspicious history of HIV, then after six to eight week ELISA fourth generation testing or tri-dot rapid testing can be done. 
  • For bacterial infection, blood culture can be done and accordingly suitable antibiotic can be given. Do not worry regarding bacterial infection, it is treatable.
  • For typhoid, a stool culture can be done to choose proper antibiotic.

With keeping my answer in mind, consult a nearby infectious disease specialist or physician for examination and treatment accordingly.

For more information consult a hematologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/hematologist

HIV1 RNA test is negative. Can it be concluded that I do not have HIV?

Query: Hi doctor,I had sex with massage girl a month back with a condom. But I am not sure about condom break. I had HIV1 RNA test 21 days late. It came negative. So do I need to take another test or can it be concluded that I do not have HIV?  Read Full >>

Cosmetologist, Dermatologist, Family Physician, General Practitioner, HIV AIDS Specialist, Plastic Surgeon, Venereologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Yes, you need to go for fourth generation ELISA (enzyme-linked immunosorbent assay). For more information consult a HIV AIDS specialist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/HIV-AIDS-specialist  Read Full

HIV test was negative, but I am still worried. Please help.

Query: Hi doctor, After 15 months of unprotected sex, I went for HIV test called Comb AIDS test but, the result came back negative for both HIV-1 and 2. Again after three months, I redid the test, but even this time, the result was negative. I was not satisfied, so I went for ELISA tes...  Read Full >>

Dr. Ravinder Kaur Sachdeva
HIV AIDS Specialist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. The test kits used to diagnose HIV are highly sensitive and specific and gives accurate results. The majority of the people who are infected with HIV (human immunodeficiency virus) develop antibodies by three months, and even in the rare instances of late seroconversion...  Read Full

Are my symptoms indicative of HIV infection?

Query: Hi doctor, I am having hot breaths, and my eyes feel hot. I have acidity problems. All these problems started after I had sexual intercourse. Is it an indication of HIV? Should I get a western blot test now?  Read Full >>

Dr. Murali R

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Hot breaths and acidity problems are non-specific symptoms and are not related to HIV (human immunodeficiency virus) infection. The risk factors for HIV infection is having sex with unknown partners, whose HIV status is not known, or through blood transmission. If you ha...  Read Full

Ask a Hematologist Now