Q. I have hives and the itching gets uncontrollable after dinner. Why?

Dr. Shama Naaz

I am a 34-year-old male. My height is 5 feet 6 inches, and my weight is 72 kg. I have hives for more than three months. After my dinner, I am getting inflammation on my skin daily. And the itching is uncontrollable. I do not have any other problems, and I am not under any medication. I am a vegetarian, and I stopped brinjal for three months.

#

Do you have any other medical problems like hypertension, diabetes, asthma? In the meantime, you can apply Allsuth lotion (Calamine, Aloe Vera Gel, and Light Liquid Paraffin) twice daily over the affected area. Avoid intake of soybean, peanuts, eggs, sour food, and milk. Do not take a bath with too hot or too cold water. Always be in a well-ventilated place. Avoid spicy food, wear cotton clothes and use hypoallergenic soaps for bathing.

Investigations for you to do,

• Thyroid test- TSH (thyroid-stimulating hormone), FT3 (free triiodothyronine), FT4 (free tetraiodothyronine).
  • Urine routine and microscopy.

I do not have any problems like hypertension, diabetes, and asthma. I will avoid the foods listed by you, and I will follow your guidance. Can you suggest any medicine to cure hives? Odifex and Allegra are effective only for one day.

#

The problem with oral medications is that they are only effective as long as you take them. The most important thing is to identify and remove the cause of hives. It could be due to food, dust, too hot or too cold temperature, nylon, synthetic clothes, etc. You should maintain a diary and note down the food or the contact substance the day you are getting hives. Oral medicines like Allegra (Fexofenadine) can decrease the hives and prevent their occurrence, but the critical part of treatment is avoidance of triggers. You can also follow these measures,

• Avoid overheating.
  • Wear loose-fitting, cotton clothes.
  • Apply a cold compress, such as ice cubes wrapped in a washcloth, to the itchy skin several times a day (unless cold triggers your hives).
  • Apply Allsuth (Calamine, Aloe Vera Gel, and Light Liquid Paraffin) lotion three times a day.

|