Q. My kid developed papular urticaria post insect bite and not subsided on medication. Why?

Dr. Faisal Abdul Karim Malim

This query is regarding my baby boy’s health. He is 18 months old and recently had his varicella shot last month. Last week, he suddenly started shouting in the middle of his sleep and kept scratching his forehead and neck region. When checked two mosquitoes were near him and had bitten him.

Generally, he gets papular urticaria after any insect bite. But after three days, he got lesions all over his face, arms, and legs. Checked with my doctor and initially, it was ruled out as chickenpox along with insect bite allergy. But even after a week he still did not show improvement. The older ones are very slowly recovering. But everyday new lesions are coming up and he scratches like anything despite a lot of medications. Please help. His current medications are Aciclovir 2.5 ml thrice (completed the 5-day course), Azithral 5 ml (night only) for seven days, Xyzal 2 ml thrice daily. Now the doctor has started him on Omnacortil steroid medication and Kid pred 3.5 ml twice daily.

Please suggest if we are treating him the right way. He weighs 10.5 kg. No fever, cold or body pain symptoms.

#

As per the history and pictures shown (attachment removed to protect patient identity), I would recommend to get the child evaluated for scabies if the above treatment does not work. Until then continue the treatment as going on. It appears to be fine as per my knowledge as I have not evaluated the child physically. If the treating doctor feels that it is scabies after examination, it would be advisable to use one dose only of Permethrin 5% on the body and 1% on the scalp.

|