Q. Why do I get hives and swellings on eating mangoes?

Dr. Arun Kaushik. R

I have mango allergy, and I am wondering if mango concentrate can cause an allergic reaction. I had mango juice, and I did not break out at all, but last year I had an allergic reaction that was from mangoes or peal, that were hives and swelling. Before I turned 18, I was eating mangoes, but after I turned 18, I broke into an allergic reaction that consist of hives and swelling and my chest was tight.

#

You need to identify which part of the mango are you allergic to and avoid it. Is it the juice or for the peal? Also, any particular variety of mango needs to be identified like banganapalli, alphonso, etc. If recurring with all the variety of mangoes then try to avoid all mango varieties. Keep antihistamines tablet ready if you get an attack of the hive while having mangoes again. Also, the age-dependent development of allergy is difficult to explain. It might be you have become symptomatic after the period.

|