Q. Why do I get hives and swellings on eating mangoes?

Dr. Arun R Kaushik
and medically reviewed by Nithila A
Published on Apr 26, 2019

I have mango allergy, and I am wondering if mango concentrate can cause an allergic reaction. I had mango juice, and I did not break out at all, but last year I had an allergic reaction that was from mangoes or peal, that were hives and swelling. Before I turned 18, I was eating mangoes, but after I turned 18, I broke into an allergic reaction that consist of hives and swelling and my chest was tight.

Dr. Arun R Kaushik

Critical Care Physician Geriatrics Microbiology
#

You need to identify which part of the mango are you allergic to and avoid it. Is it the juice or for the peal? Also, any particular variety of mango needs to be identified like banganapalli, alphonso, etc. If recurring with all the variety of mangoes then try to avoid all mango varieties. Keep antihistamines tablet ready if you get an attack of the hive while having mangoes again. Also, the age-dependent development of allergy is difficult to explain. It might be you have become symptomatic after the period.

Can I take Hydroxyzine Hcl 25 mg while pregnant?

Query: Hi doctor, My wife is four months pregnant now. She has itchy palms. The doctor advised to take tablet Atarax 25 mg (Hydroxyzine hydrochloride). Is it safe to have this tablet during pregnancy? Kindly guide.  Read Full »

Why do I have severe stomach pain after eating fatty foods?

Query: Hello doctor, I am a 24 year old female. What could be the cause of a severe stomach pain that happens after eating nuts, seeds, and things with oil in them? By oil, I mean even olive oil and not just greasy foods. This reaction has been happening for a year or so, and I have avoided these foods as ...  Read Full »

Ask a Family Physician Now