Q. Why do I get hives and swellings on eating mangoes?

Answered by Dr. Arun R Kaushik and medically reviewed by Dr. Nithila A

Do you have a question on Hives or Antihistamines? We have medical experts to help you right away. Ask a Doctor Now »

I have mango allergy, and I am wondering if mango concentrate can cause an allergic reaction. I had mango juice, and I did not break out at all, but last year I had an allergic reaction that was from mangoes or peal, that were hives and swelling. Before I turned 18, I was eating mangoes, but after I turned 18, I broke into an allergic reaction that consist of hives and swelling and my chest was tight.