Q. I have high acidity and food allergy with severe cough and cold. How to manage these problems?

Dr. Zubayeralam
This is a premium question & answer published on Jul 27, 2020 and last reviewed on: Aug 18, 2020

I have a cough and cold, and I am allergic to citric foods like mango, lemon, sirka, lady's finger, arbi, and green chili. High protein food like yellow part of egg, potato, etc., cause high acidity and my stomach gets jammed. I cannot drink cold water for burning sensation in the stomach due to severe cough. When the acidity is high I get rashes in the entire body with itching. I take Rabiprazole and avoid foods that cause the issue.

Dr. Zubayeralam

General Medicine Internal Medicine Pulmonology (Asthma Doctors)
#

I can understand your concern. According to your statement, you have been suffering from cough and cold with allergies to citrus foods, high protein foods which can aggravate stomach acidity with burning sensation and rashes with itching of the whole body and not capable of drinking cold water for last 15-20 years.

According to the descriptions, you may suffer from GERD (gastroesophageal reflux disease) with cold allergy. Cold drinks do not allow the foods to stay longer in the stomach for better digestion but the enzymes in the gastric juices. When the gastric temperature becomes lower than normal body temperature because of cold drinks or foods, the digestive enzymes in the stomach do not function optimally. So if you feel GERD related complications such as bloating, burping, bleaching or diarrhea, food allergies, or other problems, cold drinks with meals may be the culprit.

You should undergo some investigations like CBC (complete blood count) with circulating eosinophil count, endoscopy of upper GIT (gastrointestinal tract), Barium swallow, skin prick test, Rast test to exclude the causes.

In the meantime, you can take Gaviscon, Domperidone, Fexofenadine, and Montelukast along with your Rabeprazole and avoid cold drinks with foods which may aggravate your sufferings.

|