Q. How to solve my food allergy?

Dr. Salah Saad Shoman
This is a premium question & answer published on Jan 02, 2017 and last reviewed on: Feb 22, 2021

A year ago, I have developed sudden severe allergies to foods. Apples and almonds cause itchy, uncomfortable feeling in the throat, difficulty in swallowing and breathing and coughing. Bananas cause nausea, vomiting and stomach pain. Nectarines, peaches, plums and pears cause swelling and hives on and around the lips. I have always eaten such fruits before. These allergies developed only in the past one year and the symptoms worsen with time. Please help.

#

• Food allergies occur when the immune system overreacts to some types of food, which is supposed to protect your body from pathogens.
  • The best way to deal with these allergies is to avoid theses types of foods as food allergy might be very mild in one time while in another time may be very severe leading to anaphylaxis reaction, which can be life-threatening.
  • If this happens to you, then the first line of treatment is Ephedrine (Adrenaline), which can be life saving. Your doctor may prescribe an Ephedrine autoinjector and teach you how to use it.

For further information consult an internal medicine physician online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/internal-medicine-physician

|