Hla B27 Antigen

My friend has sacroiliitis. Will it affect her family life and pregnancy?

Query: Hi doctor,A friend of mine, who is a 28 year old female, had been diagnosed with sacroiliitis before five years. She had been on painkillers (Indocap) for three years, which she was taking on a daily basis. Then for a year, her doctor advised her to have maintenance doses of Remicade infusions and s...  Read Full »

Dr. Divya Agarwal

Rheumatologist

Answer: Hi,Welcome to icliniq.com.This problem is called spondyloarthritis, and it is associated with a gene called HLA-B27.It is a chronic disease where there may be periods of relapses and remission.There maybe flare up of disease during pregnancy or post pregnancy. Otherwise, it generally does not cause ...  Read Full »

Can I donate blood with spondyloarthritis?

Query: Hello doctor, I am an 18-year-old female. Six months ago, I did some blood tests and my doctor said that I resulted in positive HLA-B27 and that she suspects me to have spondyloarthritis. But she did not explain to me things that I can or cannot do from now on. I take one tablet of vitamin D weekly...  Read Full »

Dr. Rajiv Ranjan Kumar

Rheumatologist, General Medicine Physician, Internal Medicine Physician

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Spondyloarthritis (SpA) is a group of disorders which predominantly affects (inflammation or arthritis) in the spine and lower limbs. The common diseases which comes under SpA are ankylosing spondylitis, reactive arthritis, psoriatic arthritis, etc. HLA- B27 is a gene ...  Read Full »

Why did the pain on the right side of my back move to the hips?

Query: Pain in hips. My lower back on the right side began to ache slightly and the ache moved into my hips, deep in the socket like a tooth ache but in the bone almost, it spread to my other hip and continued for the last 2 days. Only thing that helps is heat, like hot bath, today I was able to move aroun...  Read Full »

Dr. Rajiv Ranjan Kumar

Answer: Hi, The common rheumatological disease for your condition which needs to be ruled out based on your history is Spondyloarthritis (SpA). SpA comprises many groups of diseases starting from ankylosing spondylitis, reactive arthritis, and others. It usually causes back pain, lower limb arthritis-like ...  Read Full »

Will Ankylosing spondylitis cause pain in lower ribs?

Query: Hello doctor, I have been having pain around my lower ribs towards the back side (left side) since the past eight days. The pain gets worse while lying down and trying to change sides in the night. It also hurts while sneezing or coughing (feels better if I cough or sneeze by holding the area with ...  Read Full »

Dr. Divya Agarwal

Rheumatologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. In the light of the fact that you are HLA B27 positive, the pain that you are experiencing is due to the same problem. This is called enthesitis, and it occurs due to inflammation at the attachment of muscles to bones. So the treatment also remains similar to that of AS...  Read Full »

How dangerous is staphylococcus infection?

Query: Hi doctor, I had unprotected sex two months back and developed Streptococcal infection within a day. I took Amoxicillin to get rid of it. Within five days developed yeast infection and got treatment for that. Now, I have reactive arthritis. I got two painless red bumps on the back of my hand and I d...  Read Full »

Dr. Naval Mendiratta

Rheumatologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com Could you give me the exact duration of the disease? Which are the joints involved in your case? For reactive arthritis (painful form of inflammatory arthritis), you do not need much of treatment. It normally subsides by itself. NSAIDs (nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs...  Read Full »

Are vitreous cells found in anterior uveitis?

Query: Hi doctor, I was diagnosed with bilateral anterior uveitis two months back. I was put on Pred Forte. After 20 days of which only occasional AC cells were seen in right eye with no flare. Left eye was clear, but few mid vitreous cells were seen which were not present before. Hence, I was still on Pre...  Read Full »

Dr. Vaibhev Mittal

Eye Care Ophthalmologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I think you have anterior uveitis in both eyes. Few vitreous cells can be present in anterior uveitis patient also. Usually, anterior uveitis is in one eye, but if bilateral we investigate them as it was done in your case. So, now you are HLA B27 positive (human leukocy...  Read Full »

I have muscle pain near the chest inspite of having medications. Why?

Query: Hello doctor,I have muscle pain near the chest. I am having muscle pain near the chest from the last two to three months. I have done all the cardiac tests, and it is fine, then I consulted a rheumatologist, and she suggested some tests and medicine. It has been a month, and I am still having some p...  Read Full »

Dr. Divya Agarwal

Rheumatologist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. You are right, and you have peripheral arthritis due to HLA-B27 positive. Your chest pain is due to enthesitis, and please feel free to query me in this regard. If your HLA-B27 positive by PCR (polymerization chain reaction), because that is a condition which can gi...  Read Full »

Does Adalimumab injection causes kidney dysfunction in HLA-B27 positive patients?

Query: Hello doctor, I am a 26-year-old male. I am HLA-B27 positive (hereditary issue). I am suffering from joint pains since the last 16 years, I generally use Ultracet to suppress the pain. I have undergone a resurfacing surgery before nine years. Since then I have not taken any treatment. I have visit...  Read Full »

Criticalcare Physician, Diabetologist, General Medicine Physician, Internal Medicine Physician, Medical Gastroenterologist, Nephrologist, Pulmonologist, Rheumatologist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. You need to understand that every medicine has its side effects and it is not that everyone gets it. Important is treatment. Since your disease may get worse with the passing years, Adalimumab injections would help you in controlling your disease. It rarely affects t...  Read Full »

Is it safe to take Gabapentin for back stiffness?

Query: Hello doctor, I am a 33 year old unmarried male, and I have a back stiffness problem for more than three years. Everyone gives the says that my posture is not proper while walking. Two years back when I consulted a doctor, he suspected ankylosing spondylitis, but HLA-B27 was negative. After seeing...  Read Full »

Dr. Divya Agarwal

Rheumatologist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I have seen the attached reports (attachment removed to protect patient identity). The diagnosis of ankylosing spondylitis is a clinical and radiological diagnosis. The clinical criteria is a history of inflammatory back pain, and the pain is worse in mornings and nigh...  Read Full »

I am HLA-B27 positive with vitamin D deficiency and back pain. Will it affect my marriage life?

Query: Hi doctor, I am a 29 year old female. I got married recently. I am HLA-B27 positive patient with vitamin D deficiency (less than 8%). These days, I am suffering from severe back and shoulder pain. Sometimes, there is a hip joint pain, and I am not able to sleep at night. Rarely, the pain remains...  Read Full »

Dr. Naval Mendiratta

Rheumatologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Your symptoms do match spondyloarthropathy. It is a sort of arthritis, usually common in males but 10% of the females can get affected. The severity is not so much in women, though. Secondly, painkillers (I am not sure which you are taking) are a good drug to stop the d...  Read Full »