Q. My uric acid and creatinine are raised. Are my kidneys not functioning properly?

This is a premium question & answer published on Jul 10, 2017 and last reviewed on: Nov 19, 2021

I am a 42 year old male. From the past three months, I was suffering from typhoid. Now, I have pain in knees, sole, back, and wrist joints. The test reports show high sensitivity c-reactive protein (hs-CRP) 7.67, eGFR 68, folate 2, uric acid 7.7, creatinine 1.02, total cholesterol 211, triglycerides 239 , TC/HDL ratio 5.4, VLDL cholesterol 47.8, non-HDL 172.1, alkaline phosphatase 111.7, alanine transaminase (SGPT) 44.1, vitamin D 7.45, total RBC 5.25, MCHC 29.4, SD (RDW-SD) 50.3, RDW-CV 14.1, PDW 16.5, P-LCR 45.8, and MPV 12.5.

#

You mentioned that you had typhoid three months back, and now have features of large joint arthritis. With this profile, it seems to be reactive arthritis.

• If you have heel pain, which is more in the morning once you get up from the bed and put your feet on the ground, then it increases the possibility of reactive arthritis. If you have back pain that wakes you up at night and decreases with walking or have stiffness of joints early morning, then I suggest you do the following tests:
  1. Power Doppler ultrasound of the most painful joint.
  2. HLA-B27 typing.
  3. If you have back pain, then x-ray of SI (sacroiliac) joint.
  • Meanwhile, you can take NSAIDs (non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs) along with PPI (proton pump inhibitors) for some time for pain relief and swelling. If you have to consult, then a rheumatologist will be best.

Revert with more information to an internal medicine physician online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/internal-medicine-physician

What about my report? It is indicating increased uric acid, creatinine, and low eGFR. Is my kidney not functioning properly? The test parameters for liver and lipid are good. Please through some light on it after reading my lab report.

#

• An increase in uric acid is not a problem unless it causes pain and swelling of the first MTP (metatarsophalangeal) joint and a creatinine of 1.17 is normal for a 42 year old male.
  • However, eGFR could be less due to multiple conditions, like high BP (blood pressure) or drugs which you received.
  • I can assure that it is not gout because gout usually causes arthritis of first MTP and is not associated with pain in the heel. Regards.

For more information consult an internal medicine physician online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/internal-medicine-physician

|