Q. My uric acid and creatinine are raised. Are my kidneys not functioning properly?

Published on Jul 10, 2017

I am a 42 year old male. From the past three months, I was suffering from typhoid. Now, I have pain in knees, sole, back, and wrist joints. The test reports show high sensitivity c-reactive protein (hs-CRP) 7.67, eGFR 68, folate 2, uric acid 7.7, creatinine 1.02, total cholesterol 211, triglycerides 239 , TC/HDL ratio 5.4, VLDL cholesterol 47.8, non-HDL 172.1, alkaline phosphatase 111.7, alanine transaminase (SGPT) 44.1, vitamin D 7.45, total RBC 5.25, MCHC 29.4, SD (RDW-SD) 50.3, RDW-CV 14.1, PDW 16.5, P-LCR 45.8, and MPV 12.5.

General Medicine Internal Medicine Rheumatology
#

You mentioned that you had typhoid three months back, and now have features of large joint arthritis. With this profile, it seems to be reactive arthritis.

• If you have heel pain, which is more in the morning once you get up from the bed and put your feet on the ground, then it increases the possibility of reactive arthritis. If you have back pain that wakes you up at night and decreases with walking or have stiffness of joints early morning, then I suggest you do the following tests:
  1. Power Doppler ultrasound of the most painful joint.
  2. HLA-B27 typing.
  3. If you have back pain, then x-ray of SI (sacroiliac) joint.
  • Meanwhile, you can take NSAIDs (non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs) along with PPI (proton pump inhibitors) for some time for pain relief and swelling. If you have to consult, then a rheumatologist will be best.

Revert with more information to an internal medicine physician online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/internal-medicine-physician

What about my report? It is indicating increased uric acid, creatinine, and low eGFR. Is my kidney not functioning properly? The test parameters for liver and lipid are good. Please through some light on it after reading my lab report.

#

• An increase in uric acid is not a problem unless it causes pain and swelling of the first MTP (metatarsophalangeal) joint and a creatinine of 1.17 is normal for a 42 year old male.
  • However, eGFR could be less due to multiple conditions, like high BP (blood pressure) or drugs which you received.
  • I can assure that it is not gout because gout usually causes arthritis of first MTP and is not associated with pain in the heel. Regards.

For more information consult an internal medicine physician online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/internal-medicine-physician

What is the treatment for facet hypertrophy?

Query: Hi doctor, I am 28 years old and suffering from facet hypertrophy. I have continuous lower back pain. I cannot stand for more than five minutes. I am taking Nuroday daily. I would like to know the treatment.  Read Full >>

Dr. Akshay Kumar Saxena

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. You have mentioned that you are 28 years of age and have continuous lower back pain which I think is not responding to the medications and conservative management. Normally at this age, conservative management in the form of anti-inflammatory medications, intensive phy...  Read Full

Why do I have shooting pain in my calves after walking?

Query: Hello doctor, I am a 60 year old known diabetic. Since two years, I am having severe leg pain when I walk even for a small distance. I have shooting pain in my calves after just 10 minutes of walk. Doctors have diagnosed it as calcification of nerves. I have attached my reports for your reference. P...  Read Full >>

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. You are having intermittent claudication due to a peripheral arterial disease as demonstrated by your arterial ultrasound (attachment removed to protect patient identity). I am hoping it is a Doppler ultrasound. It appears that your diabetes is under control and you do...  Read Full

Knee Pain in Old Age - Osteoarthritis

Article Overview: Knee pain is the most common joint problem seen in older adults. Osteoarthritis is the leading cause of this. Learn more about this condition here. Read Article

Dr. Mahaveer Patil

Osteoarthritis (OA) is a chronic joint disorder in which there is progressive softening and disintegration of articular cartilage accompanied by new growth of bone at the joint margins and capsular fibrosis. Osteoarthritis may be asymmetrically or symmetrically distributed and often localized to onl...  Read Article