Q. How will a doctor suggest treatment from the output of Holter heart monitor?

Dr. Muhammad Zohaib Siddiq
and medically reviewed by Dr. Hemalatha
Published on May 20, 2019

My mother has been on Holter heart monitor for the last 24 hours. If any abnormalities found on this, then what treatment can be suggested by doctors?

Dr. Muhammad Zohaib Siddiq

Cardiology General Practitioner
#

Thanks for the query.

Holter monitoring is done to identify rhythm problems, to diagnose the type of arrhythmia, and its relation to daily activities, to detect heart blocks and to monitor treatment.

Now depending upon sign and symptoms and rhythm identified, the treatment plan may be devised by a cardiologist.

In general, for fast rhythms, medicines are given to slow down the heart rate and also reversion of rhythm to normal can be attempted via medicines or invasive intervention.

For slower heart rates such as heart block and its symptoms such as loss of consciousness or dizziness, pacemaker (which is an electronic device than generates a pulse for the heart) may be implanted.

Depending upon rhythm detected, further tests may be advised such as cardiac electrophysiology study. So, possibilities are many; if you provide some history of the patient, I can guide you properly. Just tell symptoms of the patient, any current illness and medicines she is taking, any previous ECG, echocardiography or other tests performed.

If you can provide the above details, it will narrow down my answer and easy to understand for you.

I am praying for your mother. Regards.

Can implantable cardioverter defibrillator cause AFib?

Query: Hello doctor, I would like to know if an implantable cardioverter defibrillator can cause AFib. Please explain.  Read Full »

My heart rate increases with exertion. Should I be worried?

Query: Hi doctor, I have a severe doctor phobia. I am unable to go in for care, but I need to understand something happening better and if it is normal for my health. I had an episode of something a couple of months ago. I got extremely sick, started vomiting and sweating horribly, has chills and massivel...  Read Full »

What will happen if I take Potassium chloride tablet without the need?

Query: Hi doctor,I was not prescribed by my doctor to have Potassium chloride tablet. But, I had one tablet per day for the past two days. Is it fine to take? What will be the side effect? Please help.  Read Full »