Q. Can implantable cardioverter defibrillator cause AFib?

Dr. Rishu
Published on Nov 18, 2016

I would like to know if an implantable cardioverter defibrillator can cause AFib. Please explain.

Dr. Rishu

Cardiology
#

• Implantable defibrillators are implanted to terminate an episode of atrial arrhythmia. AFib (atrial fibrillation) is also a type of atrial arrhythmia.
  • The ICD not only provides treatment for atrial arrhythmias, but also provides treatment for ventricular arrhythmias, as well as rate-responsive dual chamber pacing for the treatment of bradycardia.
  • The pacing attempts to gain control over the arrhythmia by interrupting the pathway of the atrial arrhythmia and uses low energy pacing, which is usually goes unnoticed by the patient.
  • In cases when ATP (antitachycardia pacing) is successful, the patient may not even be aware that they have had an arrhythmia, until their device follow-up.
  • So, the answer for your question is ICD cannot cause atrial fibrillation until and unless it is implanted incorrectly; rather it will terminate an episode of atrial fibrillation automatically.

For further information consult a cardiologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/cardiologist

There is ventricular bigeminy and ectopics post MI. Do I need a device?

Query: Hi doctor, Post MI (after one year) ventricular bigeminy is diagnosed. I am describing my cardiac problem. Please give your valuable suggestion. My problem is exactly one year back which was MI. Treatment started after 20 minutes with Reteplase and other drugs. Next day at 9 AM, I underwent angiogr...  Read Full >>

Dr. Vivek Pillai

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I have gone through your reports (attachment removed to protect patient identity). Most probably, these VPC (ventricular premature contraction) are due to the scar in the RV (right ventricle). As advised by the cardiologists, I would also advise an EP study (electro...  Read Full

I feel as if my heart is pounding irregularly. Can it be atrial fibrillation?

Query: Hello doctor, I am a 46 year old female. My blood pressure is low normal. I have never had any heart issues except palpitations when pregnant 10 years ago. They did a cardiac ultrasound at that time, which was normal. Just over a week ago, I started feeling, intermittently during the day, as if my ...  Read Full >>

Dr. Rishu

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I have gone through your detailed narration and understand your concerns. The ECG (electrocardiogram) recordings are clearly suggestive of atrial fibrillation (AF) and there is no doubt about it. The P-wave is absent and the rhythm is irregular. Both are suggestive of...  Read Full