Q. What will happen if I take Potassium chloride tablet without the need?

Dr. Rishu
Published on Nov 18, 2016

I was not prescribed by my doctor to have Potassium chloride tablet. But, I had one tablet per day for the past two days. Is it fine to take? What will be the side effect? Please help.

Dr. Rishu

Cardiology
#

Potassium chloride tablet should not be taken without monitoring. Serum potassium level should be done once in every three days.

Hyperkalemia (elevated level of potassium) is a very dangerous thing. It can precipitate many sorts of arrhythmias (abnormal heart beats) and excessive levels can even be fatal.

You have not mentioned the reason for which you had Potassium chloride tablets. Are you hypokalemia or are you on diuretics?

As of now, as per your query, potassium tablets should not be taken without monitoring your serum potassium level.

For further information consult a cardiologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/cardiologist

Is my dad's heart weakening after having a stuttering stroke?

Query: Hello doctor, I have a question about my father. He is a healthy 75 years old, eats healthy, drinks at least two liters water a day. He has since five years atrial fibrillation and gets for that Xarelto 15 mg and Amlodipine accord 5 mg, takes them in the morning and that was always good. Unfortunat...  Read Full »

Kindly suggest an alternative for Yasmin to control PCOS.

Query: Hi doctor, I have PCOS, hypothyroidism and pituitary Cushing's disease. I am taking Yasmin, Glucophage 850 mg and T4 150 mg. As I have to take Metyrapone for Cushing's my doctor recommended stopping Yasmin. But if I stop it, I do not have period for months and I get acne all over my body. What can...  Read Full »

I had chest pain. Can I get anesthesia for facelift surgery?

Query: Hello doctor, Eight months back I had chest pain. My dad expired at the age of 54 years because of MI. Hence the doctor insisted that I should take some tests and everything were normal. I have attached are some of the test results. I have not got any chest pain later. I am taking medicines for de...  Read Full »