Q. What will happen if I take Potassium chloride tablet without the need?

Dr. Rishu
This is a premium question & answer published on Nov 18, 2016 and last reviewed on: Nov 11, 2020

I was not prescribed by my doctor to have Potassium chloride tablet. But, I had one tablet per day for the past two days. Is it fine to take? What will be the side effect? Please help.

#

Potassium chloride tablet should not be taken without monitoring. Serum potassium level should be done once in every three days.

Hyperkalemia (elevated level of potassium) is a very dangerous thing. It can precipitate many sorts of arrhythmias (abnormal heart beats) and excessive levels can even be fatal.

You have not mentioned the reason for which you had Potassium chloride tablets. Are you hypokalemia or are you on diuretics?

As of now, as per your query, potassium tablets should not be taken without monitoring your serum potassium level.

For further information consult a cardiologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/cardiologist

|