Q. I have not had a period for four months. Is it due to Mirena IUD?

Dr. Balakrishnan. R
This is a premium question & answer published on Apr 28, 2018 and last reviewed on: Aug 20, 2020

I am 21. I have Mirena IUD for six months now and have not had a period for four months. A few days ago, I started and it is really mucusy and only when I wipe and food has not been appealing to me and when I do eat, I cannot eat much. This morning I feel nauseous and that is not normal for me either. I have two other kids and with them, I did not have any but maybe two symptoms, that was peeing a lot and food did not appeal to me the first 14 weeks. The last time I had sex was the 10th.

#

Hormones have different side effects and appear different from person to person.

Mirena is a hormone-secreting contraceptive device which shows it effects like mood swings, breast tenderness, irregular bleeding, etc. According to one study, 20 % of the females stopped menses after a year's use of Mirena. Most of the women felt menstrual changes in the first three to six months of Mirena application like intermenstrual spotting, light irregular bleeding, very light menses. Some of the females showed heavy menstrual flow. Mood swings is also another side effect which you are feeling a lot.

Try to have a healthy lifestyle like yoga, exercise, walk daily. Have recreational activities like painting, and swimming. But avoid recreational drugs like alcohol, cocaine, ketamine, etc.

If you had diagnosed any problem or have any other symptoms, try to have full treatment.

It is your choice if you want to continue with Mirena or want any other contraceptive if does not suit you. I suggest switching to combined oral contraceptive pills for some time to reduce Mirena effects (after removal of Mirena).

Have urinalysis and urine culture for urine problem, follow report and use lots of water and cranberry juice. In case of absence of urine infection try to avoid fluids before work and sleep at night to have less disturbances.

Pelvic floor exercise strengthens muscles and helps avoid incontinence.

Try to go to a gynecologist with urinalysis report and discuss symptoms as well to have a proper examination to decide for related investigations.

For more information consult an obstetrician and gynaecologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/obstetrician-and-gynaecologist

|