Q. Is my missed period due to stress?

Dr. Sanjay Kumar Bhattacharyya

I am a 35 year old female who weighs 139 kg. I am concerned about my periods. I had my last period two months ago, but have not had one since then. I feel that I ovulated on time after my last period, and have basically had PMS ever since. I have very tender breasts, lower left sided abdominal pains from time to time, lower back ache to a lesser extent, and am feeling very emotional, just like my period is about to arrive. But, there is no sign of it. I have had four negative pregnancy tests over the last couple of weeks including two home tests, one urine test, and one blood test. My GP had carried out full blood work and everything came back normal.

I know I am very overweight. However, I had never had a period problem before. I have been under some stress this year. So, I wonder if that is the cause. But, I am very concerned in any case. I am due to attend the hospital for a transvaginal ultrasound scan soon, to find out the cause of the lower left abdominal pain but, wondered if you had any further ideas as to why my period may have stopped, even though I feel that it is about to arrive.

#

The problem was bound to start sooner, if not later.

• The reason for the absence of menstrual bleeding is due to being grossly overweight. 139 kg is something you should be concerned about.
  • Yes, stress and anxiety can be a cause of absent cycle as well as cystic ovaries. But, I assume it is the obesity which primarily caused the hormonal imbalance.
  • Meet your doctor and get the TVS (transvaginal scan) done. Get checked if the ovaries are cystic or not. I assume it will be.
  • Also, you can opt for a medicine to induce a withdrawal bleeding. But, in my opinion, it will recur until you do something about your obesity.

For more information, consult an obstetrician and gynaecologist online --> https://icliniq.com./ask-a-doctor-online/obstetrician-and-gynaecologist

Would there be any difficulties in me being able to get pregnant during this time?

#

• Yes, apparently there will be a difficulty in conceiving if you have obesity as well as cycle disturbances.
  • You need to check for the hormonal balance as well as ovulation status. These two tests will tell us if you are ready to conceive.

For more information consult an obstetrician and gynaecologist online --> https://icliniq.com./ask-a-doctor-online/obstetrician-and-gynaecologist

| 

Generalized Anxiety Disorder(GAD)

Article Overview: A 35-year-old woman came to me with a chief complaint of muscle tension. She stated that she has experienced a considerable amount of muscle tension her entire life, but it has become increasingly worse over the last 12 months. Read Article

The above mentioned patient is suffering from Generalized Anxiety Disorder (GAD). GAD can be defined as anxiety and worry about several events and activities for a majority of the day. The anxiety and worry of GAD differs from normal anxiety by its excessiveness, the difficu...  Read Article

I have PCOD from the last 10 years. Please suggest a permanent cure.

Query: Hello doctor,I am 25, married and sexually active. I suffered from PCOD for a while, took all sorts of allopathic and homeopathic medicines and when I got scanned two months ago, PCOD was not found. I thought this is the end of my problem but, still, my periods are irregular. Last time, I was la...  Read Full »

Pregnancy test shows negative, shall I take medicine to induce periods?

Query: Hi doctor,I got my last period before three months. I have not gotten my periods ever since. I had protected intercourse twice before two months. However, I have no symptom and all the pregnancy tests are negative. Also, I have missed my period the same way, even before once and my cycle is gener...  Read Full »

Vitamin D and COVID-19
Did you know COVID-19 patients with vitamin D deficiency are twice as likely to have severe complications, including dea...  Read more»
The New 'Super-Spreader' Strain of Coronavirus
A new variant of SARS-CoV-2, the virus that causes COVID-19, is spreading fast in parts of the UK. Read how this new var...  Read more»
How to treat my mother's sigmoid colon ulcer?
Hi doctor, My mother, who is 45 years old, has ulcers in the sigmoid colon for the last 15 years. The problem got reduce...  Read more»